No license key with Mac App Store purchase [correct; licensed to your Apple ID]

This discussion was created from comments split from: Setting up standalone license.

Comments

• hongchienchi
    hongchienchi
    Community Member

I have downloaded the 1Password from apple store and and paid $67.36 yesterday. But I do not see any license key. Looking at my application folder, I have 1Password and 1Password 6.

My questions are
    1. how does the license work?
    2. how can I locate my license?
    3. how can I transfer my passwords from one 1Password to another?

Thank you,

• Hi @hongchienchi,

Thanks for taking the time to write in.

We're no longer marketing standalone licenses for 1Password. Is that what you intended to buy, or were you looking for the 1Password membership service? You can read about what membership offers you above and beyond a standalone license here:

What are the benefits of a 1Password membership?

1. how does the license work?

Standalone licenses are for one person for one platform & one version of 1Password. For example, your license would allow you to use 1Password 6 for Mac. It doesn't allow anyone else to use 1Password, doesn't allow you to use 1Password on any other platforms (Windows, iOS, Android, etc), and doesn't include any upgrades (e.x. v7).

When you buy from Apple there is no license key / file. Instead your purchase is tied to your Apple ID, and Apple verifies your purchase by checking your Apple ID purchase history / receipt.

1. how can I locate my license?

These isn't really anything to locate, but you can look at your Apple ID purchase history using these instructions from Apple:

See your purchase history in the iTunes Store on a Mac or PC - Apple Support

1. how can I transfer my passwords from one 1Password to another?

I'm not sure I understand the question. Could you please tell me a bit more about how things are now, and what you'd like them to look like when done?

Thanks!

Ben

• hongchienchi
    hongchienchi
    Community Member

@Ben Thank you for your quick response.

I purchased 1Password from Apple and found this post: https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/78086/setting-up-standalone-license/ It mentioned to discard 1Password downloaded from apple store and download a v6 from https://1password.com/downloads/ and Frank from 1Password sent him another license file.

Therefore I downloaded the v6 version of 1Password. I think that's why I have 2 1Password apps on my computer.

My confusion is that if 1Password downloaded from Apple is no good then why it is on the Apple store and which one should I keep?

If I keep the v6 version, it seems like I need to have a license file?

Could you clarify my confusion?

Thank you.

• @hongchienchi

I purchased 1Password from Apple and found this post: https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/78086/setting-up-standalone-license/ It mentioned to discard 1Password downloaded from apple store and download a v6 from https://1password.com/downloads/ and Frank from 1Password sent him another license file.

Therefore I downloaded the v6 version of 1Password. I think that's why I have 2 1Password apps on my computer.

What was the reason for doing that? Frank gave those instructions to that customer because they had purchases a license from us, not Apple, and thus to resolve their problem they needed to switch to the download from us. That doesn't apply to you, so I'm confused as to why you would've found that thread and followed the instructions there?

The best 1Password experience comes from 1Password membership, and so that is how we recommend using 1Password. If you'd like to switch over to that we'll be happy to help you get moved over.

Thanks.

Ben

• hongchienchi
    hongchienchi
    Community Member

Ah, therefore, I should keep the one downloaded from Apple then since it dose not require a license file?

• @hongchienchi,

Yes, that is the recommendation there.

Rudy

This discussion has been closed.