How can I get folder sync to not keep bugging me when it cannot connect to the network share

dked
dked
Community Member

I have 1password data stored locally but it syncs using the built-in folder sync to a network share.
The problem is when the computer is not connected to the network that has the network share 1password seems to stop working and bugs me with "cannot access" type of dialogs I have to click "ok" on constantly while I'm not connected to the network that has the network share.

I've almost got to the frustration point where I would consider a third-party sync tool that would be smarter on the sync and only show that message once and wait until the network connection changes to re-try.

How can I keep this synced between my two macs and avoid this frustration?

1Password Version: 6.8
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.12
Sync Type: Folder Sync

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@dked: You can't. These errors aren't originating from 1Password, but macOS. macOS does not let 1Password know the availability of network drives until it tries to access them. So I guess technically you could prevent the errors by disabling sync. But ultimately it would be best to sync with a folder that is accessible. Syncing with a drive which is not directly connect ed is not supported, as it will likely result in data loss or corruption when 1Password is in the middle of write operations and they fail. Instead you could use something like ChronoSync to sync folders on each Mac locally with each device, but ultimately you'd be better off using something like Dropbox or 1Password.com instead, as those are fully tested and supported.

• dked
    dked
    Community Member
    edited October 2017

seems like to me there should be a better way for 1password to handle this that is not so annoying
    1) it should use a backoff process to check less often when it fails
    2) it should subscribe to know when changes happened in the network connection so it can reset the backoff process to check more often
    https://stackoverflow.com/questions/1083701/how-to-check-for-an-active-internet-connection-on-ios-or-osx

also you mentioned chronosync but what products and what is the setup that's needed to use that?
    https://www.econtechnologies.com/about/products.html

it also seems Mac only so I would not be able to use that on windows I think

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@dked - Brenty was offering you a couple of suggestions, to perhaps get you pointed in a direction that may be of use to you. However, he also mentioned two things that are stated quite clearly on our Folder Sync page. The first was a gentle reminder that you're already using an unsupported method of sync that's known to cause data loss, duplication or other errors (syncing to a local network folder). The second was this:

We’re unable to provide support for issues you might encounter with local folder syncing because we can’t troubleshoot your network or third-party sync solutions.

Some of our customers have reported success using all sorts of "homebrewed" methods of sync, but at least as many have also reported ongoing intermittencies, data loss issues and other problems. That's why we offer two tested 3rd party cloud-based sync solutions (Dropbox and iCloud), as well as the most reliable sync method of all, a 1password.com account. If ease of use and reliability are your primary goals, I'd recommend any of those, especially the 1password.com account, over a DIY sync setup.

• dked
    dked
    Community Member

@Lars I have no interest at all in a 1password.com online account - and I am not interested in a diversion about how secure it is compared to my own "local cloud" - the local cloud is the only reason why I'm using 1password in the first place.
    There must be a way to use the ChronoSync that @brenty was mentioning or something else that would not keep bugging me when I connect to different wifi outside of my office that does not have access to the file share. I am fairly certain that there is a large group of people that are using or trying to use 1password the way I am trying to use it.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@dked -- there is certainly a group of people who use all of our sync methods, whether iCloud, 1Password accounts or Folder Sync. If any of them happen upon this thread and feel so inclined, you may get some direct feedback from one of them who's got some tips to share or light to shed; we just can't provide any official support for it. Good luck! :)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@dked: Just to clarify, we don't get notified by macOS if a network drive goes offline, unlike a locally mounted drive. That's where things get hairy, and why we actively recommend against syncing with a network share — and can't do anything to mitigate this risk on our end. ChronoSync is not a recommendation, as it is not a product we support. You'd need to contact them for assistance with their software. I was simply offering an anecdote that others have said they use it for this purpose. There just aren't a lot of people using 1Password this way, because it's not supported and its a bit of a pain. Most folks just want stuff to work. You're free to do as you wish, but bear in mind that there isn't much we can do to help when you're using 1Password in a way other than it what it was designed for — no more than I can get support from Apple for running other OSes via BootCamp.

This discussion has been closed.