Websites asks for three characters from a password

Options

Hi,

I have a couple of sites that instead of asking me for a password ask me for three randomly selected characters from the password. So one time it might ask me for the 1st, 4th and 8th characters, then the next time it might ask for 2nd, 3rd, 9th. And so it goes on. Can 1Password handle this in any way?

A second question. On one of the sites, it asks for the above, then an extra security question. If I manually add the three characters and then press command \ it fills the security answer into the first of the three characters, rather than the security question. Any way round this?

These are real pain in the neck sites and any help would be great.

Matthew.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited August 2017
    Options

I have a couple of sites that instead of asking me for a password ask me for three randomly selected characters from the password. So one time it might ask me for the 1st, 4th and 8th characters, then the next time it might ask for 2nd, 3rd, 9th. And so it goes on. Can 1Password handle this in any way?

@maffs0: Unfortunately not. 1Password just doesn't have any way of understanding these demands and knowing how to respond to them. :(

A second question. On one of the sites, it asks for the above, then an extra security question. If I manually add the three characters and then press command \ it fills the security answer into the first of the three characters, rather than the security question. Any way round this?

It's really impossible to say without being able to test the site, but in general 1Password is designed around filling usernames and passwords. Sometimes manually saving a new login can give 1Password enough information to fill reliably in scenarios like this...but if you're being asked different "security questions" each time that may not work in this case. And sites that make you jump through these kinds of hoops tend to be the ones quickest to lock you out due to failed login attempts so it may not be worth risking. 1Password also will not fill information fro custom fields, but you can always copy and paste if necessary.

These are real pain in the neck sites and any help would be great.

I hear you. Not only is it annoying for the user, it's also not a good security practice as generally this means they need to know your actual password in order to compare individual characters. I'm not sure that there's much we can do to help in these cases since they're not following web standards, but we're always working on improving 1Password's filling capabilities and perhaps we'll figure something out someday. In the mean time, you may find 1Password's "Large Type" feature in the latest versions helpful:

You can access this to the right of the password field when viewing the item. Cheers! :)

This discussion has been closed.