A few thoughts about the cloud offering and local vaults.

Options
Patrick_Meunier
Patrick_Meunier
Community Member

Hi to all of you at Agile bits! Greetings from Quebec city!

As a long time user, I would like to share with you some of my thoughts about the new cloud service and the new subscription model. ( And the recent announcement to add local vaults to Windows version 7.)

I wish to convey that I greatly appreciate everything that was done by the team through the years to keep the price as low as possible while still offering new versions and update of the software. I've been using your software since version 2.9 in 2009 and will always be satisfied to pay for a software of that quality. I've been recommending it and will continue to do so for a long time I hope.

I also understand the change to a subscription model to better sustain the development on multiple platform, the business features and the need to continue investing in R&D. I am very happy about the new business offering that makes 1password great again! Hehe ;). I honestly did not like using LastPass while I was working at Coveo, but it was the only strong business offering at the time I was told. It isn't anymore.

Since the beginning I've used it exclusively on my macbook and my iPhone. Then I bought a new Windows computer and I gave a try to the pc version. With the recent updates, the dropbox sync and iCloud sync have been removed and it is not possible anymore to import a local vault. I think that the cloud service is priced perfectly and the options to pay yearly is great. It still have me think about my future use of the software. If the local vault feature was to be completely removed from all platform. I was seriously beginning to think about exploring other options, but after all those years, it would have felt like a divorce! :P

I just saw that the local vault would be re-instated in 1password 7 for Windows ( Thanks a lot for that one. We, as customers, can be slow to evolve sometimes! ) and while it got me thinking about the cloud offering and I think that in the near future I will probably make the switch, I am not ready yet. Soon...

So I wish you all the best and I thank you for that great piece of software!

All best,

Patrick Meunier

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Hey @Patrick_Meunier!

I've been using your software since version 2.9 in 2009 and will always be satisfied to pay for a software of that quality. I've been recommending it and will continue to do so for a long time I hope.

Thank you so much for being with us for so long and for stopping by to share your support and kind words. I honestly can't express how much it means to us when folks take the time to share happy thoughts. It's our job to talk about 1Password when it isn't working as it should, so it's always refreshing to hear from y'all when you aren't having problems at all and just want to share the love. Those warm fuzzies keep us going on tough days so thank you for the pick-me-up. :chuffed:

With the recent updates, the dropbox sync and iCloud sync have been removed and it is not possible anymore to import a local vault.

While it is possible to import a standalone vault (into a 1Password account), I still understand what you're getting at here. :wink: The Windows team had a difficult task put to them with 1Password 6. We're well aware of our roots in standalone vaults and we know they're a valuable feature for many of our customers across all operating systems. The decision to leave standalone vaults for later when we rebuilt 1Password for Windows was not an easy one, and we really do understand the frustration this created for many of our long-time fans on Windows. As is often the case in any business, we sometimes need to make unpopular decisions about prioritization and this one was effectively made for us as those looking for that business offering you are so excited about (thanks again!) were without a Windows app. Thankfully, we have some truly wonderful customers and nearly everyone remained understanding about the need to build a Windows app for our Teams customers despite their frustrations. As a customer recently told me, no one would have taken the time to complain if they didn't love 1Password, so even these frustrations were compliments in their way.

I think that the cloud service is priced perfectly and the options to pay yearly is great. It still have me think about my future use of the software. If the local vault feature was to be completely removed from all platform. I was seriously beginning to think about exploring other options, but after all those years, it would have felt like a divorce!

You're not the first to mention the divorce analogy and, while I'm sorry you had to wrestle with those feelings for a bit there, I'm really glad we build something that inspires this kind of loyalty. We really do think of our customers as our extended family around here. I hope that is reflected in our interactions with y'all, perhaps particularly when we disagree about something or have to share bad news. I know I put a particular effort into responding to critical comments. Graciously accepting praise isn't too difficult, but our true character shows in how we accept and respond to criticism.

I just saw that the local vault would be re-instated in 1password 7 for Windows ( Thanks a lot for that one. We, as customers, can be slow to evolve sometimes! ) and while it got me thinking about the cloud offering and I think that in the near future I will probably make the switch, I am not ready yet. Soon...

You're most welcome! Standalone vaults have remained in 1Password 4 for Windows throughout, though I do know many have been waiting some time for an upgrade and folks who came to Windows later in the game got caught when 1Password 4 was taken off the market. I'm glad we're now able to announce one is coming. If you're already thinking about making the switch to a 1Password membership, perhaps your evolution will beat our development and you'll find yourself installing 1Password 7 with no standalone vaults at all. :wink:

In the meantime, we love talking about 1Password memberships and, far from feeling our customers are slow to evolve, we understand that change is tough and are happy to address any concerns or questions you may have. We want y'all to be making informed decisions and using 1Password in the way that works best for YOU. Answering your questions and addressing your concerns is a big part of ensuring you have all of the information you need to make the right choice and we're always happy to chat. :+1:

Thank you again for stopping by to share your thoughts and if you have any questions about 1Password memberships (or anything else), we're always here for you. :chuffed:

Kate Sebald
    Technological Spirit Healer @ AgileBits

This discussion has been closed.