WLAN Sync security with Wifi Cameras on network

ohreally
ohreally
Community Member

I have an odd question. I have Yi Home WiFi cameras at my house. I use WLAN sync. Am I at risk of one of the cameras being hacked and would steal my passwords?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: WLAN

Comments

• Hi @ohreally,

Thanks for taking the time to write in.

I'm going to steal some wording from my colleague Rudy (good artists borrow, great artists steal): "if you fear the devices on your network, you either shouldn't have them on the same network as stuff you care about, or don't have them at all!" If you have a concern about these devices I'd recommend considering a separate network for them. Many WiFi access points have the ability to create multiple, separate, networks (or at least one "guest" network separate from the main).

But back to your question... It may be possible for a device that has access to the network that you are doing the syncing over to intercept the encrypted transmission. The data would still be encrypted with your Master Password, though. The device would also need to somehow capture your Master Password, which is not transmitted over the network. Don't type your Master Password while your keystrokes are being monitored by the camera? ;)

I hope that helps. Should you have any other questions or concerns, please feel free to ask.

Ben

• ohreally
    ohreally
    Community Member

Once again, thank you for the quick reply! I appreciate ya, @Ben

• On behalf of Ben, you're very welcome.

Rick

This discussion has been closed.