What is the tested & real sync time across devices? Force Sync is not instant

stevegster
stevegster
Community Member
edited August 2017 in Mac

I've been a user for some time.

My issue/problem is with the TIME it takes to sync (more of a question).

I've added a password through 1P on my MAC with latest iOS (not the extension). I go into preferences and force a SYNC. Then go to my iPhone 7 with latest iOS open 1P and force a SYNC. Both say they are done but the new password hasn't made it to my device.

I have a 200MB internet connection. I'm running the latest versions. My question is how long does it REALLY take? It should be almost instant and its not. There is some process that is taking up cycles thus delaying the actual sync. Can I get a technical answer as to the ACTUAL time is should take after FORCING syncs on both devices which apparently doesn't do ANYTHING.

P.S. Using Dropbox to store my Vault.

Thanks!

1Password Version: 6.8
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OSX
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• stevegster
    stevegster
    Community Member

UPDATE: So I went into DROPBOX and noticed each time after I pressed SYNC within 1P app on my MAC it does NOT update the file modification TIME STAMP. When I hit the "BACKUP NOW" button in the 1P app on my MAC I noticed the file time stamp changed. I then when to my iPhone and noticed sync icon was active. Sure enough, my new password was on my device.

I was under the impressions syncs took place "automatically" across devices?? Am I using it wrong? Is there a setting?

• Jacob
    edited August 2017

Hi @stevegster! That's a great question. In a great setup, it should take just a few seconds, but it of course depends on how many items you have in your vault, and what's changed since the last sync.

UPDATE: So I went into DROPBOX and noticed each time after I pressed SYNC within 1P app on my MAC it does NOT update the file modification TIME STAMP. When I hit the "BACKUP NOW" button in the 1P app on my MAC I noticed the file time stamp changed. I then when to my iPhone and noticed sync icon was active. Sure enough, my new password was on my device.

Are you referring to the vault file in Dropbox? There isn't a button to sync now in 1Password for Mac, but there is on iOS. Were you using iOS rather than Mac? I just tested sync on Mac and it happens almost immediately when I add a new item or edit one I already have. If that's not happening in your case, there are a few things to try:

If you’re having trouble syncing with Dropbox

Let us know how that goes. :)

ref: LAW-74291-711

This discussion has been closed.