Conflicting Sync Settings

kdeemer
kdeemer
Community Member

I have 1Password set to sync with Dropbox on multiple computers and devices. But they seem to be syncing to different vaults. Some point to Dropbox/Apps/1Password/1Password.opvault and others to Dropbox/1Password/1Password.agilekeychain. How can I merge these and select the proper one (which is the proper one?). There doesn't seem to be a way to change where the vault is pointing.

Thanks

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Hi @kdeemer! I'm glad you noticed — it sounds like a good time to get things merged. First let's check which vault has more items in it. Look through both vaults in your devices and check which one has more items. Once you find out, merge them on just one device to see how many duplicates are created. I recommend doing it on a Mac first so you can restore from a backup if you need to:

1. Open and unlock 1Password for Mac.
    2. Click 1Password > Preferences and choose Sync.
    3. From the menu beside "Sync with", choose "None" and click Disable Sync. Don't delete the data from Dropbox.
    4. Click the menu again and choose Dropbox, then select the other vault you want to merge things with.
    5. Enter the vault's password and add the vault.

If a lot of duplicates are created, the better option will be to sync the second vault in addition to the main vault and move different items over one by one. You'll need to restore a backup on your Mac to a time before you merged the vaults to do this. Let us know how things go!

• kdeemer
    kdeemer
    Community Member

Hey, Thanks for that. But, what is the difference between these vaults and which vault do I want to end up with - 1Password.opvault
    or 1Password.agilekeychain?

• Jacob
    edited August 2017

@kdeemer Great question. 1Password.opvault uses the new vault format, while 1Password.agilekeychain has the old one. You should end up with 1Password.opvault. :) Sorry for leaving that out.

ref: CXD-64558-442

• kdeemer
    kdeemer
    Community Member

Hey, Thanks for that. But, what is the difference between these vaults and which do I want to end up with.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited August 2017

@kdeemer: OPVault is a newer, more advanced format and is recommended. Agile Keychain is only needed if you want to sync with very old versions of 1Password on other devices.

• kdeemer
    kdeemer
    Community Member

Help. Merging deletes all of my logins! OK, I have set up one machine to sync with Dropbox using opvault. It has 986 logins in it. Then, on my second machine I disabled sync and deleted all logins except 17 most recent ones that hadn't been synced with the first machine. Next I re enabled sync. It said the data would be 'merged'. But, in fact, all but the 17 on machine two are removed from each machine!

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@kdeemer -- sorry about that! Your data was technically "merged." The reason it erased all but those 17 logins is that your deletion of all those other 900+ items has a newer time-stamp than the items themselves (which were created/modified at various points further in the past). So, upon the merge, 1Password used time-stamps to determine that you intended to delete all those other items.

To solve this, please do the following:

• On the first Mac, export those 17 items as a .1pif file. Doesn't matter where, desktop is fine.
    • Disable Dropbox sync on BOTH Macs temporarily in 1Password Preferences
    • In Finder, remove the OPVault folder from Dropbox (send it to the trash, but don't empty yet).
    • Restore to the most-recent backup of your data that has the full 986-count complement of items.
    • Re-establish Dropbox syncing on the first Mac, which will cause a new OPVault file to be written to Dropbox (you will have to choose location for it).
    • Finally, in the File menu of 1Password on your first Mac, select Import and choose Other and select the .1pif option. Select the file you saved in the first step and import it. Verify that the 17 items have been imported.
    • Re-establish Dropbox syncing on your second Mac.

Let us know how that works! :)

• kdeemer
    kdeemer
    Community Member

Nope. Now I have 34 items; The 17 and a duplicate of each. The issue is, once I have a good state on one machine and a good sync, how can I force the other machines and devices to adopt that state?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@kdeemer: If you restore from the backup, do you have all of your data there? If so, it's easy to start over on the other device and use its vault there too, so the both have exactly the same data and stats in sync going forward, rather than trying to combine two very different vaults. If you can verify where you have everything you want and the OS and 1Password versions you're using on each device, I can give you specific instructions on how to proceed.

• kdeemer
    kdeemer
    Community Member

Yes, I have a fully up to date 1PW on a mac running OSX 10.12.4 and 1PW 6.8.1. I have other macs, iphones and ipads that need to sync with this data.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@kdeemer: Great! If you have all of your data in 1Password on the Mac, let's go from there:

1. If you have data you don't need in 1Password on other devices, follow this guide on each to start over after backing up your data
    2. Then, in 1Password for Mac, setup sync if it isn't currently
    3. Finally, setup sync on each additional device, pointing to the same vault you're using in 1Password for Mac

Not having vaults of their own, they will all take the data from the Mac and continue using that same vault, making changes to it so that they can be sync'd. Let me know how it turns out! :)

• kdeemer
    kdeemer
    Community Member

OK> Almost there. I have all of the devices syncing to the proper file. But on one of my Mac's I can't get the 1Password mini to appear in the menu bar, even though I have check "show mini app in menu bar" in the preferences.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

OK> Almost there. I have all of the devices syncing to the proper file. But on one of my Mac's I can't get the 1Password mini to appear in the menu bar, even though I have check "show mini app in menu bar" in the preferences.

@kdeemer: That's a new one to me. Do you have "security" software which may be preventing it from launching, or perhaps the app is simply damaged. Definitely install a fresh copy of the app from our site just to be sure it isn't the latter:

https://1password.com/downloads/

This discussion has been closed.