Larger Secure Notes file not allowing text edits

chrispowers2
chrispowers2
Community Member

I have a Secure Note file I access via my Mac and it won't save text changes even after I hit "save". It initially looks like the changes have been made and accepted, but when I return to this Secure Note, it's reverted to the original text! I just noticed this has been happening and it's caused confusion as my secure file isn't remembering the changes I've made, and things I've deleted.

This Secure Note file is larger, about a full page of text if written on a letter sized page. I don't seem to be having the same problem with smaller Secure Note files.

I've tried copying all the text to a new Secure Note file, but same problem. I've even chopped it in half, and made two smaller files, and still same problem.

Any ideas? Anyone else having this problem?

Thank you.

(OS El Capitain v.10.11.6 and 1Password v.6.8)

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@chrispowers2: Is it always being truncated in the same spot when you try to save? Perhaps there's a specific character which is causing an issue. We've seen something similar to this with null characters on other platforms. Also, while it doesn't sound like this is the case, if the contents of the item exceed 256K, you may run into trouble. Are you using an AgileKeychain or OPVault?

• chrispowers2
    chrispowers2
    Community Member

Hi Brenty,

Not sure what AgileKeychain and OPVault are. I'm using 1Password downloaded from the Apple App store Version 6.8 (680014). And Category of "Secure Note".

The problem is intermittent, and deleting text is the main problem. It can't seem to remember what I've just deleted, even after hitting the save button. Perhaps there's a character in the text somewhere it doesn't like? I used to live overseas so perhaps there's a weird character for a foreign language which has made its way in there.

I don't have a subscription with you. I just purchased the app directly from the MacOS App store. I assume this isn't a partial functionality problem simply because I don't have a subscription.

Perhaps I'll try cutting and re-pasting as plain text in the event there's some strange character in there it doesn't like?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Not sure what AgileKeychain and OPVault are. I'm using 1Password downloaded from the Apple App store Version 6.8 (680014). And Category of "Secure Note".

@chrispowers2: OPVault and AgileKeychain are 1Password's vault formats, which you'd have if you sync your data with a local folder or with Dropbox.

The problem is intermittent, and deleting text is the main problem. It can't seem to remember what I've just deleted, even after hitting the save button. Perhaps there's a character in the text somewhere it doesn't like? I used to live overseas so perhaps there's a weird character for a foreign language which has made its way in there.

It's certainly possible. I do see this when copying and pasting into apps from PDFs too sometimes.

I don't have a subscription with you. I just purchased the app directly from the MacOS App store. I assume this isn't a partial functionality problem simply because I don't have a subscription.

Not a problem.

Perhaps I'll try cutting and re-pasting as plain text in the event there's some strange character in there it doesn't like?

Yeah, definitely try Shift Option Command V to paste, as this should paste only non-formatted plaintext. This will eliminate things like rich text formatting. However, I'm not sure of a similar way to eliminate non-ASCII characters. Maybe there's a normalizer somewhere. I think a fairly easy way to verify that it's something about the specific text you're saving that is a problem would be to enter only known-good ASCII, perhaps directly from a normal text file or manually entering.

Other than different languages, another possibility would be text from another platform, since they often use different encoding. Windows is pretty notorious for this, and there are other examples as well. Is it possible that you migrated some data from somewhere other than macOS?

This discussion has been closed.