Help: Upgraded to 1Password 6 on my Mac and now all passwords are gone

jaymo
jaymo
Community Member
edited August 2017 in Mac

I've searched the forums to answer this question and found a few helpful places to troubleshoot but nothing has quite helped me solve the problem. Yesterday I used 1Password as always, it worked fine. Today, I noticed it was not in my toolbar, so I opened the app from within the applications folder. It told me there was an upgrade avaialble so I upgraded. It then asked for my access key etc. When I got the new version working it wanted me to create a new vault, and I cannot seem to find the old one. My computer is working fine, so the passwords must be on here somewhere! any ideas? I also have backups of my OS on an external hard drive so I could look there as well.

Any ideas?

1Password Version: 6.3.4
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.10.5
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:passwords gone after upgrade

Comments

• Hi @jaymo ,

We've seen this issue before. The version of 1Password from the Mac App Store, and the one from our website ( https://1password.com/downloads ) store their data in two different places. It appears when you downloaded the new version, you ended up switching to the other version.

Your data is still there. To get it back, download and install the version of 1Password you were using before you installed the update.

If you aren't sure which version you used to use, let us know and we can help you find out.

Cheers,
    Kevin

• jaymo
    jaymo
    Community Member

Thanks for the response Kevin. Hmmmm... I am not sure which version that was. I imagine 5? I wonder if I can just search the various places on my Mac that it mat exists.

Open to suggestions. Just need my data back! Thanks :)

• @jaymo,

I think @kevin actually meant version in the sense of Mac App Store vs Web Store rather than the specific version number you were using before. If you install from that same store purchases tab vs https://1password.com/downloads it should get you back up and running again.

Rudy

• jaymo
    jaymo
    Community Member

ah! got it. So I think what I did was respond to a notification that came up in 1password that an upgrade was avaialble... so I did. Thats when the problem occurred.

That said, to clarify, are you advising me to re-install through the Mac Store?

• jaymo
    jaymo
    Community Member

I followed the instructions and now I have 2 versions installed, still with no access to my vault of passwords. Does anyone have a solution on this? I moved away from using spreadsheets because I love this app, but this is very aggravating and detrimental to my business. Please help with any troubleshooting steps. I have looked through forums on similar topics and can't seem to find the write answer.

What steps can I take to trouble shoot this. If what @Kevin says is true, that "my data is still there" then, fantastic. I'd love to know how to get it back.

• Ben
    Ben
    edited August 2017

@jaymo,

I'm sorry to hear that has not yet resolved the issue. I'd like to ask you to create a diagnostics report from your Mac:

How to send a 1Password diagnostics report - 1Password Support

We'll take a look and let you know what we find out.

Thanks!

Ben

ref: HHQ-74554-996

• jaymo
    jaymo
    Community Member

Done! thank you

• Thanks! We received your report and I'll be responding to you via email shortly.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.