Generic Icons appearing instead of site logo.

njdelcalzo
njdelcalzo
Community Member

While using 1password, suddenly the icons for the sites are disappearing. I don't know if this has any impact on anything beyond cosmetic appeal but I found it strange. Just want to know if there is a way to get the icons back or if this even matters.

Thanks!

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Hi @njdelcalzo

Thanks for taking the time to write in.

There is a bug in 1Password 6.8 for Mac where the Rich Icon preferences are not respected, and that may be causing this difficulty for you. We plan to have that fixed up in v6.8.1, which we hope to have available soon. If after the update you disable and re-enable Rich Icons and are still seeing this issue please let us know.

Thanks!

Ben

• njdelcalzo
    njdelcalzo
    Community Member

Hi Ben,

Thank you for your response. I applied the new update and deactivated then reactivated the Rich Icon in both the View section on the top bar as well as in the Preferences>General to no avail. After doing more research in the forums it seems that maybe you don't have rich icons for these specific sites and that is why they are not appearing. Anyway if there is another solution I would love to hear about it.

Thanks!

• Smudge
    Smudge
    Community Member

@Ben Was this supposed to be fixed in 6.8.1? I'm using that version and I just added a new login for www.getfinal.com but it still shows the generic keyhole icon. That site does offer a favicon image but 1P isn't downloading it.

Thanks

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@njdelcalzo - You're correct: Rich Icons are not available for every site. We maintain that library of icons and the server upon which they reside ourselves, so if it's a more-obscure website or one of your own homebrew localhost sites, there will be no Rich Icon. This isn't an error; it just means we don't have one for that site. If you see actual incorrect Rich Icons, like Adobe logo for Bank of America or something, that's something we'd need to look into. In the meantime, if you'd like to give us the specific sites, we can look into adding Rich Icons for them.

@Smudge - Rich Icons are not automatically imported from favicons, as I mentioned do @njdelcalzo above. We sometimes do use favicons for certain sites, but they have to be manually grabbed and sometimes re-drawn, as favicons by definition are low-resolution. We'll look into adding one for getfinal. Thanks for mentioning it, both of you!

• Smudge
    Smudge
    Community Member

@Lars If you haven't created a Rich Icon for a site yet, doesn't 1P just fall back to using the low resolution favicon? My question/report was that 1P isn't even doing that anymore either, so it just shows a generic keyhole icon. This is a recent (6.8.1 beta?) bug as just a few weeks ago I created some items that have the low res image but it isn't working with 6.8.1 release.

Of course the default favicon.ico file is very low quality so does (Should?) 1P parse the HTML head element looking for higher quality versions? This could be additional favicon entries and/or a series of "apple-touch-icon" images in various sizes. The highest quality version I found was 256px but if your team wishes, here is their logo in SVG format so you can make a proper Rich Icon.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@Smudge We did indeed for some time rely upon scraping the favicon if we didn't have a high-res Rich Icon available. However, it wasn't a great way of doing things, since 16px icons when displayed inside 1Password don't look "rich" at all. So we discontinued this practice over a year ago. There have always been some sites for which there's neither a high-res Rich Icon nor a favicon, and in those cases we have always used our (high-res) generic keyhole icon.

Thanks for digging up the SVG file for us. We'll get it added soon (check in three or four hours). In general, we do try to have most of the major (and a surprising number of less-major) sites' Rich Icons available in 1Password, but there's just too many websites out there to take the time to do it for every site. That said, you're always welcome to request one here, and we can usually get it added quickly. Thanks for reporting!

• h_simpson
    h_simpson
    Community Member

@Lars A number of the icons in our vaults are low-res favicons - which, as you mention, don't look great. Is there anyway I can change these back to the default generic keyhole without having to upload the icon myself?

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

Hi @h_simpson -- unfortunately not.

This discussion has been closed.