QR Code Scanner for One-Time Passwords Not Working

DougC
DougC
Community Member

Hi there,

I've been having recurring issues with the QR code scanner in 1Password for Mac when trying to add a one-time password to a login record. When going through the two-step authentication setup on a particular site, I am able to scan the QR code using the Authenticator app on my iPhone, as well as other QR scanning apps, but the 1Password for Mac scanner does not appear to recognize the code.

Furthermore, when I try to switch from 1Password to my browser when scanning, attempting to move 1Password's scanner window causes 1Password to be brought to the foreground again, making it very difficult to position the scanner in the first place.

I have no problem adding the one-time password when I manually copy and paste the secret key from the website, or when I copy and paste the otpauth URL from the QR scanner on my phone.

I have recorded a screen capture of this behaviour, which can be found at https://youtu.be/ayIYpCZGuxU.

Thanks!
Doug

1Password Version: 6.8 (680014) Mac App Store
Extension Version: Chrome 4.6.9.90
OS Version: 10.12.6
Sync Type: 1Password Account

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

Hi @DougC !

Sorry for the trouble. The second behavior you identified is expected behavior: 1Password for Mac has to be the front application in order to access the QR code scanner. If you're working on a smaller Mac screen or you just have 1Password really large on your screen, you'll need to move it out of the way so it doesn't cover up the QR code beneath.

However, the other problem you observed is unfortunately one we can't fix. The scanner is its own module; we just access it. It usually works quite well. However, if/when it chokes, the only real solution for it is to reboot your Mac. I wish there were a less-invasive way to do it (and there is; you can enter details manually instead of using the code), but when that happens, rebooting will solve it.

I'm curious, though -- you say you've had "recurring issues" with this? Has it happened frequently? If so, there may be some other utility or something going on that's causing this failure more often than normal.

This discussion has been closed.