I used pw generator to change pw on banking site, but now login fails.

After I reset the pw (using "generator"), the 1P browser extension prompted me to update the login info, which I did, but when I clicked on the login, it failed. I got the following error message: "What you entered doesn’t match what we have on file. We can help you with your username and password."

1Password Version: 6.8.1
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.12.5
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:"What you entered doesn’t match what we have on file. We can help you with your username and password."

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@mroudebush: Without knowing the site (and, probably, having a real account to test with) I can only speculate, but often websites will accept passwords on one page but not another. I had a bank account in the past and had 1Password generate a password for it. No problem. But when I tried to login again later, it was not accepted. I had generated a 64 character password and the site had accepted it on the password change page, but they failed to inform me that they only allow 20 character passwords and had simply ignored the 44 at the end. When trying to login again, 1Password was filling the 64 character password I'd submitted to the site originally, but that page was not ignoring the additional characters and thus would not accept the password. Definitely check their requirements, as it's likely something similar is happening for you.

• mroudebush
    mroudebush
    Community Member

Hi and many thanks, Brenty. The bank is Captial One 360. This morning I reset the pw "manually" and had 1pw "remember" it, but then still couldn't login in from login link. The tech at Capital One had a note saying one of his colleagues used a pw manager to remember his pw on the site but not to login.

• jxpx777
    jxpx777
    1Password Alumni

@mroudebush Sometimes a site will accept a password because we set it via Javascript and not by typing. Let's try this:

1. (If you're using Safari, go to Safari > Preferences > Advanced and enable the Develop menu if it's not already)
    2. Navigate to the change password page. Don't type anything into any of the fields.
    3. Right click the password field and choose Inspect Element. (This is the same in all browsers AFAIK.)
    4. This should cause the browser to show you the code that creates the password field highlighted in a new panel or window.
    5. Take a screenshot of the window.
    6. Make sure it doesn't have any sensitive information in it or crop it as necessary. (Preview.app allows you to crop images easily.)
    7. Post the screenshot here so we can review the code of the field,

What I'm looking for here is a maxLength attribute or something else that isn't being respected due to the way 1Password fills fields.

Thanks!

--
    Jamie Phelps
    Code Wrangler @ AgileBits
    Fort Worth, Texas

• jxpx777
    jxpx777
    1Password Alumni

Actually, I just tried this with my own Capital One account and here's what I found:

So, it looks like there is a maxLength attribute in the mix but it matches the password requirements that they give in text next to the form, so unless you overlooked this, it seems this is probably not the cause… :-1:

• mroudebush
    mroudebush
    Community Member

Hi.
    Here is the screenshot I took. Not sure why it is not displaying....

• mroudebush
    mroudebush
    Community Member

A bit more detail:
    I can log in when I enter the username manually and paste in the pw from 1pw, but not when clicking on the link or using "command + \". (I tried specifying the right URL for the login page).

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@mroudebush: What's the URL? I don't login to Capital One often, but I haven't encountered something like this. I'll be happy to test it. Be sure to let me know the browser version you're using as well!

• mroudebush
    mroudebush
    Community Member

Hi Brenty,
    The URL is https://verified.capitalone.com/sic-ui/#/esignin?Product=Bank
    Browser is Chrome Version 57.0.2987.110 (64-bit) or Safari Version 10.1.2 (12603.3.8)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@mroudebush: This may be a silly question, but I'll feel even sillier if I don't ask it and just assume: is the password you have stored in your Capital One login in 1Password between 8 and 32 characters long?

I was hoping to have something more substantial after going through the password change process myself, but Capital One will suddenly not let me login today without using their "two-factor" SMS, which I haven't setup...and when I called as directed, I was told their systems are down for maintenance. :unamused:

• mroudebush
    mroudebush
    Community Member

Yes.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@mroudebush: Thanks for confirming! I was finally able to get in to my account and change my password just now. I didn't have any trouble signing in afterward, but I did play around with it a bit and noted this:

Password Requirements
    8-32 characters
    Minimum one letter and one number
    No spaces
    May only use the following characters: Aa-Za, 0-9, - _ . / \ @ $ * & ! #
    Cannot be the same as your username

Try as I might, I wasn't able to get the password change form to accept a password that did not conform to these requirements (which would have been a good explanation for the trouble you're having), but see if the following helps:

• Does the password you generated and saved with 1Password meet those requirements?
    • Are you able to sign in by entering the password manually, or copying and pasting?

Admittedly I don't have much hope for either of these yielding an answer, as I tried this with Chrome 60, 1Password 6.8.1, and macOS 10.12.6 myself — though I wonder if you have the latest extension. Let me know what you find!

• mroudebush
    mroudebush
    Community Member

Thank you for your patience!
    So, I just reset the password and noticed a few things.
    1) the C1 site did not let me paste in the password into the confirmation field. I had to type it in myself...laboriously!
    2) 1PW then correctly saved the pw, but after I signed out could not "autofill" to get back in again. I had to enter everything "by hand" (although this time I was able to paste the password).
    Conclusion: for this site, I will get used to pasting the pw manually at each login.

• jxpx777
    jxpx777
    1Password Alumni

@mroudebush That really shouldn't be required. I myself am a Capital One customer (credit cards and 360 both) and I have not had these kinds of issues. I'd love to figure out where this is going wrong, but this is a challenge when neither Brenty nor I can reproduce the problem. :(

I'm wondering if maybe an extension is conflicting with the process. Would you mind trying with a new Person in Chrome or in another browser like Firefox or Safari and see if you still have the same issue?

--
    Jamie Phelps
    Code Wrangler @ AgileBits
    Fort Worth, Texas

• mroudebush
    mroudebush
    Community Member

Thanks, Jamie. Yes, I'd like to figure it out, too. I will try that this weekend and get back to you....

• jxpx777
    jxpx777
    1Password Alumni

That sounds good. Thanks for sticking with us. Let us know what you find. :)

• mroudebush
    mroudebush
    Community Member

Hi. So I tried in Safari and in a new person in Chrome. The login page I was using is https://verified.capitalone.com/sic-ui/#/esignin?Product=Bank. If I enter the u and pw manually (copying and pasting from my 1pw record), it goes through. If I just click to try to autofill I get the following error message: "What you entered doesn’t match what we have on file. We can help you with your username and password." At this point I am resigned to living with it, but if you figure something out let me know.

• Hi @mroudebush,

I have a request. I would like you to save a new Login item for this site using the steps outlined on our page How to save a Login manually in your browser. I don't want you to throw away the old one yet, I just want to see what happens if you try to log in with a freshly saved Login item, one that in theory shouldn't be any different from the existing Login item that I assume was working prior to the password change.

If the new item works we can try to learn what happened by having you compare the two items and in general terms (as it is a public support forum) let us know what differences, if any, are visible. Please do let us know what you find with the new Login item.

This discussion has been closed.