Credit card valid from date

Options
danco
danco
Volunteer Moderator

More and more sites seem to be asking for the date a credit card is valid from as well as the expiry date.

I don't think I have ever seen 1PW fill in this information, even though it is stored in my 1PW information about a card.

As an example, I just ran into this on the Donmar Warehouse theatre site.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• jxpx777
    jxpx777
    1Password Alumni
    Options

That's interesting, @danco. You're right that 1Password doesn't currently try to fill valid from dates. If this becomes a widespread situation, then perhaps we will look at adding it, but so far, I haven't heard of many sites doing this and I've never encountered one myself. If you have other examples, please do send them along though as it could be useful for us to see what the common patterns are.

--
    Jamie Phelps
    Code Wrangler @ AgileBits
    Fort Worth, Texas

• danco
    danco
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

OK, I'll keep a look out. Most sites don't ask for this, but I've encountered it several times recently.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks for your feedback on this! I'll be honest, I've never seen it come up before. But you're right, I do have at least one card with a "valid from" date. I always save all of the information in 1Password in case I ever need it. We'll see if it makes sense to make this an official filling field in the future. Cheers! :)

• danco
    danco
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

Another example where I was asked for a Valid From date is

https://live.sagepay.com/gateway/service/carddetails

Specifically, this was making a purchase for an event at Cecil Sharp House, booking via

https://uk.patronbase.com/_CecilSharpHouse/Productions/4T/Performances?utm_source=cecilsharphouse&utm_medium=email&utm_content=button&utm_campaign=jim-causley

• littlebobbytables
    Options

Hi @danco,

If you're based in the UK I think that might explain part of it. I too see a number of requests for the start date. It isn't all the time by any means but it certainly does happen and it seems like maybe it's in part country specific. Jamie and Brenty both originate from the US so they're more accustomed to what US sites request and I do believe them when they say the start date isn't a common request. I certainly wouldn't say no to 1Password filling start date field's too. Once you get used to the convenience of 1Password filling, having to look the data up in 1Password and manually enter it becomes quite pronounced.

• danco
    danco
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

Yes, I am in the UK. The request for the Valid From date isn't all that common, but it is frequent enough for me to feel a need for 1PW to fill this in, and it seems to me to be getting more common.

• littlebobbytables
    Options

Would you say you're seeing in sites you knew didn't use it before or that certain sites you've used recently make it seem more commonly requested? I ask out of curiosity. I now certain sites I routinely use that have this but I can't think of ones that didn't use to but were now. I should stress though that I have a terrible memory so I am not a good source for such a question.

• danco
    danco
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

Yes, I have no reason to think that sites that did not previously include a Valid From date have added this. I think it is just that as I find new sites for purchasing things I am seeing several of them including this field. Also, I think there are sites that have always required this where I have just not bothered to mention them to AgileBits until I came across ones new to me.

• littlebobbytables
    Options

@danco,

As 1Password hasn't attempted to fill these in the past, if it is to be added we'll need to add rules, ones designed to ensure we don't mess up filling the expiry date which is always asked for. To this end, can you start making a note of sites that ask for the valid from date please so we can build up an idea of what a good rule of thumb might look like and who knows, maybe soon both of us can stop manually filling in the expiry date on sites that ask for it. I'll be doing the same as I can only think of one off the top of my head.

• danco
    danco
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

Sure, I'll let you know as I encounter them.

• jxpx777
    jxpx777
    1Password Alumni
    Options

:+1:

• danco
    danco
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

Another booking site asking for Valid From details

https://rutlive.seetickets.com/WEBPAGES/EntaWebPayment/PatronAndCardPayment.aspx

Reached from Palladium Theatre booking.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Ah, thank you! :)

This discussion has been closed.