iCloud session expired [select "Keep me signed in" to authenticate with iCloud less frequently]

Options
prtrotter
prtrotter
Community Member
edited August 2017 in Mac

It won't stay authorized. I suppose it could just be Mini.

1Password Version: 6.8
Extension Version: 4.6.9
OS Version: OS X 10.12.6
Sync Type: iCloud
Referrer: forum-search:iCloud sync

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @prtrotter -- Quick question: do you have iCloud's two-factor authentication enabled?

• shawnmb
    shawnmb
    Community Member
    Options

This has also been occurring for me. And yes, I do have iCloud's two-factor auth enabled.

1Password version: 6.8.1
    OSX 10.12.6

• libsec
    libsec
    Community Member
    Options

Same problem here. Also with iCloud two-factor authentication.

• prtrotter
    prtrotter
    Community Member
    Options

Yes, I do. It authorizes fine, it just doesn't hold. The next day I have to authorize it again.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    edited August 2017
    Options

Hi @shawnmb, @libsec and @prtrotter -- this issue has sprung up as a result of the fact that Apple has change the timeout on iCloud sign-ins to eight hours. However, the next time you're presented with the sign-in requirement, pause a moment on the web page, and check the box that says "Keep me signed in", and you shouldn't have any more difficulties with this.

• prtrotter
    prtrotter
    Community Member
    Options

Ok, I'll give it a try next time. Thanks.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

:) :+1:

• avi8tor
    avi8tor
    Community Member
    Options

I'm having the same issue. Have checked keep me signed in and left the page running for almost 10 minutes. The next day I have the same problem

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @avi8tor -- that doesn't sound right. Sorry for the trouble! Are you asked to re-authenticate to iCloud every time? Or just about every 8 hours or so? What browser are you using for this?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@avi8tor: Just to clarify, that's expected. Maybe it doesn't happen to everyone, but every time I sign in to iCloud to authenticate the page stays there, and the circle will not stop spinning. It doesn't matter. So long as you get the dialog confirming that 1Password was able to connect after you signed in, you can safely close the tab. I hope this helps! :)

• avi8tor
    avi8tor
    Community Member
    Options

I had the same issue again this morning. This time I made sure to check the box to stay signed in. Will see how this works and report back later. Thanks for the quick response.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@avi8tor: Great! Me too, and, as always, after signing in the iCloud tab stayed open and spinning. This is what I did:

1. Clicked the button when prompted to renew the iCloud session, which opened the site in Safari
    2. Filled my iCloud credentials and checked the box to "remember" me, so I don't have to do this multiple times per day
    3. Clicked the prompt in Safari to open in 1Password
    4. Clicked 1Password's confirmation that it had successfully connected to iCloud
    5. Closed the tab with the spinning circle from the iCloud authentication

Cheers! :)

• bg2008
    bg2008
    Community Member
    Options

each time I start 1P in a browser to fill in my passwords, a window appears an tells me, that the iCloud sessions has expired and opens a new browser window and tries to open the appleID website

1Password Version: Not Provided
    Extension Version: Not Provided
    OS Version: Not Provided
    Sync Type: Not Provided
    Referrer: forum-search:each time I start 1P in a browser awindow, appears an tells me, that the iCloud sessions expired.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@bg2008: I've merged your post with the existing discussion on this topic. You'll need to authenticate with iCloud there so 1Password can sync with it. Otherwise you can disable iCloud sync in 1Password (Preference > Sync) if you don't want to.

However, if you do not select the "remember" option when signing in to iCloud, you will need to do this every 8 hours or so. I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

• avi8tor
    avi8tor
    Community Member
    Options

works okay now, thanks for the help!

• You're welcome. Let us know if you have any more questions.

Rick

• UpSide
    UpSide
    Community Member
    Options

About once a day I get this message (iCloud Session Expired ...). This has been going on for a couple of weeks, but before that, I never saw this warning. How can I make my iCloud setup not require re-logins every day?

1pw ver 6.8.1
    OS 10.12.6
    Sync via iCloud

• Ben
    Options

Hi @UpSide

I've merged your post with another thread on the same subject. Please see if the information above helps.

Thanks.

Ben

• Kevin in San Francisco
    Kevin in San Francisco
    Community Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Getting these two windows: it looks like phishing (but apparently isn't). Again, the issue is reported in your knowledgeable. Fix doesn't fix it.

(

"Kevin" is the employee who addressed the issue. This is only happening in Safari, but is quite alarming.

1Password Version: 6.8.1
    Extension Version: 4.6.9
    OS Version: 10.12.6
    Sync Type: unclear
    Referrer: forum-search:Known issue that is "closed" : asking to sign-in with your Apple ID. Fix doesn't work.

• harvey3rd
    harvey3rd
    Community Member
    Options

Ever since I changed my Apple ID password I keep getting "iCloud session expired" every time I login to 1password?

Referrer: forum-search:I keep getting "iCloud session expired" every time I login to 1password

• prime
    prime
    Community Member
    Options

I would be careful what is in with the screen shots.

• Kevin in San Francisco
    Options

Thanks Prime.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Kevin in San Francisco - sorry to hear you're having trouble with this! Apple has been making some changes to their timeouts for iCloud lately. The current timeout is indeed eight hours.

Can you clarify for me the specific steps you took? For both you and @harvey3rd, the solution should be to make sure to tick the "Keep me signed in" box on the page (in the screenshot you posted above) the next time you get this. You may have to do it more than once, if you're signed in from multiple devices. But if you keep ticking that box, only a couple of instances should suffice to make the change. Let us know if that works for (both of) you!

• Kevin in San Francisco
    Options

Will try the box and see if it does the trick. One thing that is disconcerting about it is how the wheel keeps turning for quite some time, making (at least me) wonder if something else is going on.

It's the only instance where a 3rd party is asking to sign into Apple to use it, and it's concerning on that level alone.

Thanks for the help!

• Kevin in San Francisco
    Options

Lars, at 20 mbps, it's been doing a twirling circle for two minutes so far.

Again, that doesn't instill confidence in at least one user.

:)

• Kevin in San Francisco
    Options

Four minutes later:

• Kevin in San Francisco
    Options

Turned it off at 11:00. Something is clearly amiss. Please advise.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Kevin in San Francisco - no, nothing's amiss. But a little history may be required. In the old 1Password 4 for Mac days, we offered iCloud syncing using what was an undocumented workaround. As Apple changed iCloud, that avenue was closed off, and for a time, there was no iCloud syncing unless you had the Mac App Store version of 1Password for Mac. Then Apple released what is known as Cloudkit JS - a framework for non-Mac App Store apps to use iCloud sync.

This led one of our developers to work feverishly to create what became AgileCloudSDK - our way to allow 1Password (non-Mac App Store) to communicate and sync via iCloud. You can read about the entire process from the entry when we debuted this ability. We've even made AgileCloudSDK available to other developers! It uses a separate mechanism from that within macOS/OS X itself, so you could theoretically even use a different iCloud account, if you really wanted to!

Anyway, this is what you're seeing now, and the reason you had to re-authenticate is due to Apple's decision to limit sign-ins to 8 hours. However, selecting the option to keep you signed in should do the trick. And don't worry about the spinning wheel. The token is returned inside 1Password itself, not the browser. Go ahead and close that window and it should work. :)

• johnclay
    johnclay
    Community Member
    Options

Hi there,

Unfortunately clicking "Remember me" only helps for a short while. I'm still having to sign in every day, or at most every other day.

Is there a better fix in the works for this issue?

Thanks!

• bergdesign
    bergdesign
    Community Member
    Options

I'm trying to switch back to the Mac App Store version to avoid this annoying iCloud sync issue. I am using two-factor auth, and the "keep me signed in" option makes no difference.

I have a Mac App Store purchase from the past that appears to install the latest version and properly access my iCloud sync'd vault, however it cannot see a second vault that I have access to when using the AgileBits website version. I have quit both the AgileBits website version app and its 1P Mini helper before launching and using the Mac App Store version, so I believe that I am following the suggested "rules." But there is no mechanism in the preferences for accessing the location of my additional vaults nor can I sync an additional vault with iCloud in hopes that the Mac App Store version would see it/them. And none of the support docs reflect a move from the AgileBits website version to the Mac App Store version, and the location of vaults is absolutely not intuitive to say the least.

So either I wish to have a permanent fix for the iCloud sync problem when using the AgileBits website version, or a good answer for moving/copying my second vault to the Mac App Store version.

Thanks,
    Brock

This discussion has been closed.