Need help getting started

Options
racheltoor
racheltoor
Community Member

I just started the free trial and am having difficulties setting it up. I have installed the app on my Mac (OS Sierra), but when I go to sign in, it says it can't connect to the extension. If I go to 1Password, preferences is light and I don't know how to "open and unlock." I have uninstalled and reinstalled, and tried closing and opening Safari.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:Need help getting started

Comments

• racheltoor
    racheltoor
    Community Member
    Options

Oh, and the little i is in my toolbar.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @racheltoor -- sorry for the trouble! It looks as if you've created a 1password.com account -- that's great! You can access it via a web browser, or you can add your account details into 1Password for Mac and use that to fill in logins and other information. Can you tell me a bit more about what you mean when you say "if I go to 1Password, preferences is light?"

Let me start here: have you ever installed/used 1Password previously on your Mac?

• racheltoor
    racheltoor
    Community Member
    Options

No. I have never before installed or used 1Password before. What I did was download it, installed it, and installed the extension. It shows up in my extensions folder, and the i icon is on my Safari toolbar. But that's as far as I can get. When I open 1Password from my applications folder and look under the menu, the link to "preferences" is not in bold, and so I can't open it. When I hit the icon button, I get this message:

Looking for the 1Password app

The 1Password app must be installed for the extension to work properly.

Couldn’t connect to 1Password

Make sure you have the 1Password app installed. If you're still experiencing problems follow the simple steps on our support site or contact us.

The steps on the support site don't strike me as "simple."

When I try to link to Dropbox, there is no file that shows up. I can't figure out how to link it to anything.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@racheltoor -- thanks for the clarification, and don't worry, you're almost there. :)

If you've installed 1Password for Mac, you need to add your account details into it. Please follow these instructions for doing that. You will need either your Emergency Kit (I hope you downloaded that when you created the account), or your manual account details (email address you used to sign up, Master Password and Secret Key, and your sign-in address, which will be https://my.1password.com ). Once you've added the account into 1Password for Mac, you should be able to begin using it to save and fill your logins and other information. Here are some good links to get you started out. Let us know if you have any problems -- thanks for writing!

This discussion has been closed.