1PW triggers "There was a problem connecting to the server SERVER(SMB)" popup, can't change settings

workflowsguy
workflowsguy
Community Member

I had been successfully using "Local sync" on my Macbook with a folder on my server.
Now, when I start 1PW, after entering my master password, the login screen does not go away. Also, I get popup dialogs with the above error message every few seconds.

From the name of the server in the message, it seems to me that 1PW has stored the server's bonjour name in it's sync settings. But meanwhile, in the latest firmware revision for the NAS the bonjour name for SMB connections has changed; the "(SMB)" is no longer appended to the server name.

Now, in 1PW I can no longer change any advanced settings (they are disabled), restore from a backup or try other workarounds I have read in related forum discussions.

How can I get this working again?

Thanks,
Guy

1Password Version: 6.8.1
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.11.6
Sync Type: Local folder

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    edited September 2017

Hi @workflowsguy -- thanks for writing in, and sorry to hear you're having trouble with this setup. Unfortunately, due to the number of potential sync errors around putting a folder to which you sync 1Password on a local server, we've never provided support for this option. Some users have reported success with various different flavors of such a setup, many others have reported trouble, both of the kind you're experiencing, and other kinds.

Put simply, we do not support syncing 1Password to a NAS directly. You can set up Folder Sync, and then use a 3rd party tool to sync the data to the NAS or your server, but 1Password expects the sync file to always be available. Since network disruptions can interrupt that you may end up in a bad state if you try to use Folder Sync in this unsupported manner.

If you'd like a better, no-fuss method of sync that "just works" on all your devices, a 1Password membership fits the bill nicely. Have a great rest of your week!

• workflowsguy
    workflowsguy
    Community Member

Lars,

syncing through a folder has worked for years without problems for my different Macs. The problem is obviously caused by 1PW storing a server path with a bonjour name in some config file without providing an easy way to change it.

I was really hoping for a more constructive answer. Using 1Password.com, Dropbox or any other service is not an option as I will NOT put any of my passwords on a server/service I have no control over, especially not if they are related to one of "The Five Eyes".

Thanks,

Guy

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@workflowsguy -- I completely understand your desire to keep your data on devices and networks you control. That's one of the reasons we continue to support WLAN as a sync method, in fact -- because we want our users to have a choice. It's also one way in which folder sync can be used -- syncing to a NAS to keep multiple computers' 1Password data synced. But this enters the territory of DIY sync solutions, many of which may work just fine, others of which may not at all. But in all cases, they are an unsupported option, so if and when issues arise, it's not possible for us to provide troubleshooting help for setups we don't support and aren't familiar with.

The only top-of-the-head suggestion I have for you would be to start over on your Mac, which may allow you to (over)write that filename. I don't know for certain whether that will work, but it might very well. Please do see the Notes section of our guide to local sync for a more-explicit statement of our position on what is and is not supported with folder sync. Thanks, and good luck!

This discussion has been closed.