Chrome Extension not working

Options
outrunrob
outrunrob
Community Member

I'm using Version 6.8.1 (681006)

My Safari extension works as per normal, but my Chrome extension does not.
I can see the 1Password icon
When I click on the icon I don't get the normal 1Password form, instead I get the options as per image attached

1Password Version: 6.8.1
Extension Version: 4.6.10.90
OS Version: OS X Sierra 10.12.5
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Corey_C
    Corey_C
    Community Member
    edited September 2017
    Options

Hi there @outrunrob :)
    Sorry for the trouble. Browsers can be a little weird sometimes. Chrome in particular with how it does things and its background automatic updates can sometimes mess with how 1Password and the extension verifies itself with Chrome. I don't know the exact technicals as to why but that's the gist of it. Usually fully quitting and restarting Chrome will fix it. If that still doesn't work, removing and reinstalling the Chrome extension should fix whatever issue is causing that to happen.

Hope that helps :+1:
    Corey

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hey @outrunrob -- just wanted to chime in and say I agree with @Corey_C's excellent suggestion. That will usually do the trick. However, however if it does not, please let us know.

• outrunrob
    outrunrob
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Lars & Corey

Thanks for the followup
    The old "shut down and restart" worked.
    I was sure that I'd already tried that!
    Heck it took twice as long to compile the support question, as it did to solve it!

Thanks and you can close this ticket!!!

• Corey_C
    Corey_C
    Community Member
    Options

Great to hear! :+1:

If you encounter any more problems, feel free to come back and ask. :)

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@outrunrob -- glad to hear it! Let us know if the problem recurs. :)

• gerhen
    gerhen
    Community Member
    Options

I'm not even able to download the extension for Chrome. I was directed her.

• Corey_C
    Corey_C
    Community Member
    Options

Hey there @gerhen :)
    Well that's no good. What exactly do you mean by not able to download it. What happens when you try?

• gerhen
    gerhen
    Community Member
    Options

This is the message I get: Ooops
    1Password: Password Manager and Secure Wallet (extension ID "aomjjhallfgjeglblehebfpbcfeobpgk") is blocked by the administrator.
    CLOSE

• Corey_C
    Corey_C
    Community Member
    Options

Is this on a work computer or some other machine on which you don't administrative access? In that case, you would have to speak to your system administrator and have them unblock installing the extension.

• gerhen
    gerhen
    Community Member
    Options

It's my OWN laptop! I'm the administrator. Right? But what should I do?

• Corey_C
    Corey_C
    Community Member
    Options

What operating system is this? Windows, Mac?

• gerhen
    gerhen
    Community Member
    Options

MAC Sierra 10.12.6

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@gerhen: But if you're using an account that is managed (for example, GSuite through work — fortunately I know the admin here, and I am the admin of my personal account) to sync your Chrome profile, you'll be subject to its restrictions when installing extensions in Chrome. You can always create another profile though with no account or another that is not restricted to install extensions. I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

• gerhen
    gerhen
    Community Member
    edited September 2017
    Options

No, I own all my own software.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@gerhen: Well, I don't think anyone but Google can own Chrome. But what I mean is that if you're using an account to sign into the browser which is managed, you'll have restrictions based on that. Did you try creating a new profile like I suggested, without signing in?

• stephenku
    stephenku
    Community Member
    Options

i deleted and reinstalled the extension on chrome but it still doesnt work. I can see the icon but the drop down menu wont even come out. Any suggestions?

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @stephenku -- please try quitting and restarting Chrome as well; sometimes auto-updates to Chrome can leave things in an untenable state.

• gerhen
    gerhen
    Community Member
    Options

How can my Chrome be managed by anyone else when I'm the only who uses it?

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@gerhen - it's done at the account level, by your employer (or whomever). If you create your own gmail/google account, you are the sole owner, and have full access to everything Google offers. If your employer creates a managed gmail setup for you, then that account may have privileges limited by whoever set it up.

More importantly, did you quit and restart Chrome? If so, was there any effect?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@gerhen: It's definitely confusing — not the least of which because even if you setup your own GSuite, many restrictions are in place by default (I recently had to enable Project Fi on mine). But you can use Chrome without signing into an account at all. That's why I suggested trying a new profile. Let us know how you get along! :)

• gerhen
    gerhen
    Community Member
    Options

Hurrah! I found the problem account/ It's the one managed by my university. When I signed out of that, adding extension was no problem. Thank you!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Excellent! Thanks for the update. You are most welcome! I'm glad to hear that did the trick. It sounds like you should be all set, but don't hesitate to reach out if we can be of further assistance. We're always here to help! :)

• stephenku
    stephenku
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @lars i restarted chrome numerous times..and its still the same issue:( other advice?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@stephenku: Unfortunately without some basic information it's hard to say what might be going wrong and how we might right it! Please tell me the OS, 1Password, browser, and extension versions you're using, the exact steps you're taking, and what is (or is not) happening the way you expect so we can figure out the best plan of action:

Find your version

The more information you can give, the better. Thanks in advance!

• stephenku
    stephenku
    Community Member
    Options

HI Brenty .. Im using OSX Yosemite 10.5.5, 1 Password for MAC, Chrome Version 60.0.3112.113 (Official Build) (64-bit), Extension 1Password: Password Manager and Secure Wallet 4.6.11.91. I basically set up the extension and it doesn't want to open. I tried following trouble shooting steps for chrome. where i put a code in the utility and shut down 1Password after while holding ctrl & Option and it still doesn't fix the issue. The extension still doesn't open nor drop down any menus. Really appreciate all the help

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@stephenku: It's possible that it won't work at all because Chrome is out of date (61 is current, and yours is presumably stuck at some stage of the update process). If you go to chrome://settings/help are you able to complete it? Restart your Mac afterward and see if that helps.

• stephenku
    stephenku
    Community Member
    Options

Just checked and my chrome is up to date @brenty

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@stephenku: Ah, good to know! Earlier today it was still on 60. Did you restart your Mac and try it again?

• stephenku
    stephenku
    Community Member
    Options

yes i did

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@stephenku - sorry to be thick here, but what was the result? Still no change? What happened?

This discussion has been closed.