Cannot delete some login item

ylgaoyifan
ylgaoyifan
Community Member

There are two login items with same title in my vault, but one of them is strange, which cannot be removed or modified.

I would call one of them item A, the other item B.

Item A contains normal information(see 'screenshot1'), but item B contains nothing(see 'screenshot2').

When I delete item B, but actually the item A have been moved to the trash bin, leaving item B untouched.
When I modify item B, an error occurred (see 'screenshot3').

It seems I hit a bug, could anyone check it?

https://ftp.ustclug.org/~yifan/tmp/1password-LZWALmFJ/screenshot1.png
https://ftp.ustclug.org/~yifan/tmp/1password-LZWALmFJ/screenshot2.png
https://ftp.ustclug.org/~yifan/tmp/1password-LZWALmFJ/screenshot3.png

1Password Version: 1Password Version 6.8.1 (681005) Mac App Store
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: macOS 10.12.6 (16G29)
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@ylgaoyifan: Thanks for reaching out. I’m sorry for the trouble! It seems like one(?) of those is corrupt. Please try the following:

1. Go to 1Password Preferences > Advanced
    2. Enable Copy UUID
    3. Select the first item and choose Item > Copy UUID in the menubar
    4. Paste the UUID into a text document
    5. Select the second item and choose Item > Copy UUID in the menubar
    6. Paste it into the text document as well

Are these the same?

• ylgaoyifan
    ylgaoyifan
    Community Member

Yes. It's same.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@ylgaoyifan: Aha! It was just a hunch, but I guess I was right! I'm not sure how it's happened, but having two items with the same UUID — Universally Unique IDentifier — is not normal. Any time an item is copied or duplicated, it should have a new one. So something probably went wrong with the database locally. You mentioned you're syncing with Dropbox. Are you using an AgileKeychain or OPVault there? Is either copy of this item something you want to keep, or is it okay to nuke both?

• ylgaoyifan
    ylgaoyifan
    Community Member

Because I need a client on Linux, I had changed the sync method from iCloud to Dropbox, so that I can get vault data on Linux. Then I noticed that the amount of items on Linux isn't equal to the amount on macOS. But for some reasons, I had changed the sync method back to iCloud in the last week.

When I had been using Dropbox, data was kept as OPVault format. But for iCloud, I'm not sure which format it keeps.

BTW, I checked the items on my other Mac, everything seems normal. Only item A is shown, which can be edited normally.

• It's actually relatively normal for an item in two vaults to have the same UUID. The apps try to generate new UUIDs for items when possible but there are various scenarios like the one you've just described that can lead to duplicate UUIDs.

What you're seeing is a bug in the Mac app. I'll get a Mac developer to take a look at this thread and figure out what information we would need from you (if anything) in order to get this bug figured out.

Thanks

Rick

• Hi @ylgaoyifan ,

I am one of the Mac developers and am looking into your issue. I do have a question. I notice that those items have a creation date in April of this year. Were you using a much older version of 1Password back in April? Newer versions have an automatic restriction in place from saving more than one item with the same UUID in the same vault, which you saw in screenshot 3. I'm wondering if you had a much older version of 1Password back in April that did not have that automatic restriction.

At any rate, to work with the item again, I suggest selecting item A, and duplicating it. That will give it a new UUID that you can work with, while we get the conflicting ones sorted out.

Thanks,
    Kevin

• Ohhh... Kevin's got better eyes than me. I didn't notice that we weren't dealing with two vaults but a single vault. It's "normal" to have two items in two vaults sharing a UUID, but it's not normal to have two items in one vault that share a UUID.

Rick

• ylgaoyifan
    ylgaoyifan
    Community Member

@ag_kevin @rickfillion Thanks for your reply.

I'm not pretty sure which version was installed in April. I had opened auto update in Mac App Store preferences, so it take little chance to use an older version of 1Password if it released much earlier.

I tried to duplicate item A, and a normal item was created. But item A or B still cannot be removed.
    When I try to remove one of them, it succeed. But when I try to remove the other one, nothing happened.

Maybe removing the whole vault and re-sync from iCloud would fix the problem?

I'm pleasant to help you to locate the bug. If there is anything I can do, please let me know.

• @ylgaoyifan : yes i believe that restarting from scratch and re-syncing with iCloud will fix it. On iCloud the items are guaranteed to be unique by UUID. So then the question becomes... which of those two variants is on iCloud? We don't know. So I recommend that you copy the details out of the one that has the info you want (manually). To restart from scratch:

• Lock 1Password
    • Use the Help > Troubleshooting > Reset All 1Password Data... menu item
    • Confirm with the code it gives you. 1Password will quit.
    • Relaunch 1Password and it'll treat you as a new user
    • Indicate that you'd like to sync with iCloud
    • Complete setup

You should now be in a working state.

Let us know how that goes.

Rick

• ylgaoyifan
    ylgaoyifan
    Community Member

@rickfillion Thanks for your help.

• ylgaoyifan
    ylgaoyifan
    Community Member

@rickfillion Thanks for your help.

The problem was solved successfully by following the procedures.

• That's great to hear. As Kevin mentioned, there are protections in place in the app that stop this kind of thing from happening now so I'm confident that you won't be able to get into this bad state again.

Let us know if you have any more questions.

Rick

• wschaeffer
    wschaeffer
    Community Member

I'm having this same issue. I cannot delete or edit certain logins and they have different UUIDs.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@wschaeffer: Glad you chimed in then! Can you elaborate on where you're running into trouble though?

1. What are the OS, 1Password, browser, and extension versions you're using where you're having trouble?
    2. Are you using a 1Password.com account, local vaults, or both?
    3. Are the items you're having trouble with in a Primary, Personal/Private vault, or one which is shared?
    4. What's happening when you try to edit them? Are you getting an error?

Thanks in advance! :)

This discussion has been closed.