How to migrate all those pre-saved username/passwords from Safari and Chrome?

moof
moof
Community Member

1password Newb, loving the app so far! 8-)

so following the FAQ: Turn off the built-in password manager in your browser and having deselected Autofill in web forms of my browsers...

how should you migrate all those pre-saved username/passwords that you might have in Safari and Chrome?

should I manually create entries for items I don't have already in my 1password Vault? before clearing them out the browsers

TIA

1Password Version: 6.8.1
Extension Version: 4.6.11.91
OS Version: 10.10.5
Sync Type: 1password.com

Comments

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator

@moof ,

Safari's bookmarks/passwords are stored in OS X's (and/or iCloud's) Keychain. You can export these, and then convert them using the keychain converter in the converter suite. Use version 1.10 in Testing Bits, mentioned in the first post of the thread.

Chrome 61 just removed its native method of exporting passwords. I don't know if the old ChromePass still works. If you have not updated to 61, then you can still export your passwords, and the csv converter can be used to import the exported CSV file.

• moof
    moof
    Community Member

Cheers
    And once complete, should I delete all from the browsers?

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator

@moof,

That's entirely up to you. I don't use password fill from browsers, as they are far less secure than 1Password's method. Better to remove them, and get in the habit of always using 1Password. Practice makes perfect, and in security, the closer you are, the better.

• moof
    moof
    Community Member

Point noted.

Will export, delete and switch to the 1password method

Thanks

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@moof -- thanks for the lively discussion, here and in other threads. Drop by anytime if you have questions or suggestions. :)

• miribilist
    miribilist
    Community Member

So what do I do if none of my keychain items can be exported?
    The 'Export Items' option in the file menu within Keychain Access is always greyed out no matter what I have selected.
    Is this some permission setting I need to activate?
    Any help greatly appreciated.
    It's my iCloud Keychain i=I need to migrate to 1Password if possible. The manual process of selecting each item and entering my password to copy/paste looks like a pretty daunting task for the 500+ items in the list!

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator

@miribilist ,

I'm seeing the same thing now, I can no longer export items from my main Keychain either, nor even my own Keychain. This may be due to a change in a recent macOS update.

• miribilist
    miribilist
    Community Member
    edited February 2018

@MrC
    I managed to do it by creating a local key chain on my desktop and reset my system password so there wasn't one.
    Them I copied all of the entries from my icloud chain and pasted them into the new one I created (which also had no password).
    It was then possible to convert my key chain to a csv file using a tool I downloaded (can't remember which).
    Tidied up the csv file and then used the tool to convert it for use in 1Password.
    Phew!

• Thanks for the update @miribilist. Glad to hear you were able to find a solution.

Ben

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    edited March 2018

As an FYI to future web surfers who encounter this thread...

I have just posted an update to the 1.10 version of the converter suite. It now includes a native chrome converter. It will decrypt and convert your Chrome form fill data (Logins, Credit Cards). Both macOS and Windows is supported.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Thank you, MrC! :love:

This discussion has been closed.