To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

License + Subscription

Options
ohreally
ohreally
Community Member

Is it possible to use both a license (WLAN sync) & subscription?

Example: I use license version for personal use (wlan sync) and would like to move my work vault from LastPass over to a 1Password.com account. I see you can add accounts in the iOS app...my question is, if I added a new account to my existing vault, will my primary vault sync to your cloud or will it remain a separate sync? I ask because I don't want to put my personal vault online but don't mind putting my work vault online via the subscription.

Hopefully I made sense

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Corey_C
    Corey_C
    Community Member
    edited September 2017
    Options

Hi there @ohreally :)
    Do you, perchance, use Windows? If not, then yes, that is absolutely possible. You can have accounts and standalone vaults work side by side in the same app. The 1Password 6 for Windows does not support standalone vaults but 1Password 7 will. That is not an issue for other platforms, though.

Hope that helps :)
    Corey

• ohreally
    ohreally
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Corey

I use Mac and Windows

• Corey_C
    Corey_C
    Community Member
    Options

Okay then, on the Mac there is no issue. You can add an account to 1Password and it will remain entirely separate from your standalone WLAN vault if you choose it to.

Unfortunately for Windows, the version of 1Password required to use a 1Password.com account does not support standalone vaults. The upcoming version 7 will have support for it, though.

• Hi @ohreally! Thanks for asking about this. It's only possible to use a subscription with the latest version of 1Password for Windows. We're looking at adding more options to the app down the road, but for now a subscription is the best way to use things. If you aren't comfortable putting your data on 1Password.com, I'd like to focus on that a bit, because it's more secure than other sync methods. :)

There are three umbrellas of security in 1Password accounts. Before all of them is your Master Password and Secret Key. In the standalone version of 1Password, everything is protected by your Master Password and all the security wizardry in the app. But in an account, the Secret Key is used to strengthen things even further. If you have a weak password, it's very unlikely someone will be able to access your data because the Secret Key is a 128-bit string of characters that's generated locally when you set up your account. It never leaves your device, and we ask that you print it out to have a copy in case you need it later — you're probably not going to remember the whole thing. ;)

It’s great to have a Master Password and Secret Key protect your data, but they also need to communicate with the server to access your data, so we use three layers to protect things at rest and in transit. The first layer is based on your Master Password and Secret key, which are used to derive a secret that is used to securely encrypt all of your data, both at rest and in transit between your devices and our servers. The second layer is based on the Secure Remote Password protocol. It allows your devices and our servers to make sure they are who they say they are. This provides an additional layer of protection against attack. The third and final layer is the standard TLS/SSL protocol. This layer provides a final layer of encryption and also allows your web browser to indicate that you were communicating directly with a 1Password web server.

How 1Password protects your data when you use a sync service

Hope this helps, and let us know if you have some other questions!

This discussion has been closed.