1Password mentioned as example of 3rd-party App supporting Face ID on iPhone X

XIII
XIII
Community Member

Phil Schiller just mentioned 1Password as an example of a 3rd-party App supporting Face ID on iPhone X in the keynote.

Congratulations!

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• AGKyle
    AGKyle
    1Password Alumni

Thanks @XIII

We're pretty thrilled to have seen ourselves on stage there :)

We have a post by our security chief as well, if you're curious!

• Catalin1P
    Catalin1P
    Community Member
    edited September 2017

I can't believe Apple mentioned you, again. This is like the second time if I am not mistaken. I have a feeling that Apple and AgileBits are on the same wave length when it comes to security and privacy of customer data. I wish Apple and AgileBits would merge into a beautiful one big company.

Congratulations guys and girls at AgileBits! I am glad I am a part of this beautiful company as a customer myself. I made the right choice by moving my data from my old password manager to the individual plan from AgileBits.

• prime
    prime
    Community Member

That was amazing!!

• XIII
    XIII
    Community Member

I wish Apple and AgileBits would merge into a beautiful one big company.

As much as I like both companies: please not (it would most likely not be good for 1Password).

• Catalin1P
    Catalin1P
    Community Member

@XIII I was just saying because you never know how things change in the future, but like you said I think it would most likely be better if 1Password stays where it is today, self funded and independent. They don't have to answer to anyone, beside its customers of course.

• AGKyle
    AGKyle
    1Password Alumni

Hi all!

Thanks for the positive comments. This isn't the first time we've been on display and hopefully it won't be the last. I tried hard to find the video but came up short. Back when Safari 5 (for Mac) extensions were unveiled at WWDC we were actually on stage of one of the sessions. It was back when we were Agile Web Solutions, not AgileBits. We've had a pretty long history of Apple including us in announcements and unveils. It's always exciting for us!

Bonus points to anyone who can find that WWDC video! I think it was probably 2010 since that's the year Safari 5 came out.

• Catalin1P
    Catalin1P
    Community Member

I will do my best to find it and I will post it right here.

• AskAli
    AskAli
    Community Member
    edited September 2017

Wow, so I guess 1Password already supports Face ID ;)

I noticed that the 1Password on screen at the keynote was the 6.9 beta build, no wonder the minimum OS requirement is 11.0 ;)

I was watching a hands on video of the iPhone X from The Verge on YouTube and when he swipes through the home screens of the demo unit (1:50 mark) you can see that 1Password is on the phone. So I guess you guys are already up-to-date and ready for the iPhone X huh. The interesting thing to note is that the 1Password icon they have doesn't have that orange dot next to it indicating that it's a beta build so I wonder how that works, maybe they're using the one from the App Store? I'm pretty sure the new beta build supports the X, that's the one they showed in the keynote.

It was really cool to see you guys on stage in one way or another haha, I was super hyped when I saw the 1Password screen. I'll be pre-ordering one later this year and can't wait to try out FaceID with the new iPhone X!

If I may ask, I wonder how this stuff goes down, did they get in contact with you beforehand, or did they tell you hey we want to load 1Password on our demo units can we get a build?

Or did they tell you beforehand we're gonna put you in our keynote.

Just thoughts.

• Catalin1P
    Catalin1P
    Community Member
    edited September 2017

This looks great. https://youtu.be/McyWtrnpNQc?t=1m
    I think 1Password has a time machine as far as I can see from this video. 1Password works with FaceID, which is awesome.

• AskAli
    AskAli
    Community Member

@Catalin1P Thanks so much for the share! This looks great, very easy, can't wait!

• @BrokenHope,

We're not sure yet if we'll rename the toggle based on the available biometric option, but Apple does let you query whether you have biometric unlock available and then once you get that answer you can know if its Touch ID or Face ID that's available. For anyone that's curious, this is via the biometryType property on the LAContext class.

Rudy

• AskAli
    AskAli
    Community Member

Just realized something, the build that is used in the 1Password demo on the iPhone X is completely different. The way favorites is written it has prominent bold text, following the design language of iOS 11. Similar to how in the messages app it's big and bold. My 6.9 doesn't do that yet.

And in the video they didn't seem to have any recents, while I have the recents feature.

• Catalin1P
    Catalin1P
    Community Member

I think they used a demo vault. 1Password has this feature built in it where you can create demo vaults. Too bad not all the app developers let you create demo accounts to test things out instead of testing on your own account.

• AskAli
    AskAli
    Community Member

Perhaps, but the names for the tabs on the top were done completely different.

• Sometimes when you code things (like Navigation headers) using the standard iOS API calls, and Apple updates the OS, you get the new functionality (including drawing style) automatically.

• AskAli
    AskAli
    Community Member

Very interesting, didn't know about that. Excited for the public release, will Face ID integration be ready in time for the iPhone X release November 3rd?

• AskAli
    AskAli
    Community Member

Interesting, well hopefully 6.9/7 is out by then.

• @AskAli,

There is only one biometric unlock API, so it just works.

Rudy

• AskAli
    AskAli
    Community Member

Just a quick note, Apple said as the iPhone X release date approaches, they are going to release a security white paper on it. Figured the team might be interested in it.

https://techcrunch.com/2017/09/15/interview-apples-craig-federighi-answers-some-burning-questions-about-face-id/

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Thanks! Definitely looking forward to more details from Apple — and to seeing it in action! :)

• AskAli
    AskAli
    Community Member
    edited September 2017

Update:

@brenty,

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208108

https://www.apple.com/privacy/

Direct link: https://images.apple.com/business/docs/FaceID_Security_Guide.pdf

They have a transparency report at the bottom of the page.

Share it to whoever on the team would be interested.

• @AskAli

:) :+1:

Rudy

This discussion has been closed.