To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

Sharing Vault with another user if you both have licenses?

Options
tmerrick
tmerrick
Community Member

Hi, I own a license for 1Password and so does my client. He wants to share his password vault with me and have me manage it. How is this possible with the desktop app so that I can still have my own vault/logins yet see/manage his vault/logins?

1Password Version: 6.8.1
Extension Version: 4.6.11.91
OS Version: 10.12.6
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Hi @tmerrick,

Thanks for taking the time to write in.

If you'd like to share 1Password items with one or more clients a 1Password Teams membership is the best solution. Before 1Password Teams 1Password never had its own vault sharing feature. Guest accounts on your 1Password Teams membership may be the perfect solution for client relationships:

Share passwords and other items with guests - 1Password Support

That said, if you're using a license and syncing vaults with Dropbox, it may also be possible using the folder sharing feature of Dropbox to share vaults. This would be considered a technically advanced option:

How to share a vault using Dropbox

Keep in mind that sharing a vault with another Dropbox account is handled entirely by Dropbox. The above article really just explains how to use the folder sharing feature of Dropbox (which you can also find on the Dropbox support site). The steps in that article which are specific to 1Password are the same steps you would take to sync any 1Password vault with Dropbox, regardless of whether or not you plan to share it with someone else. As far as 1Password knows, it's just syncing a vault with Dropbox like usual, and has no idea that the folder containing the sync file is being shared.

The reason I mention that is because if something goes wrong with the vault sharing, there's not much we can do because that part is handled 100% by Dropbox. For easier and more seamless vault sharing, you may want to try a 1Password Families account (there's a 30 day free trial when you sign up). There are also many other benefits to a 1Password.com account which you can read about here:

What are the benefits of a 1Password membership?

One of the primary reasons we developed the 1Password Teams service was because attempting to share 1Password data through setups like this was largely regarded as a poor experience. Particularly if your client isn't very technical I would not recommend this option.

I hope that helps, but please let us know if you have questions about any of that. Have a great weekend! :)

Ben

This discussion has been closed.