To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

Unintentionally upgraded to Family Plan when sharing vault with a guest

Options

I searched for how to share a password with 1Password, followed instructions here: https://support.1password.com/guests/, and before I knew it was upgraded from an Individual Plan to a Family Plan. There's no mention of requiring a family plan or an upgrade on the support page, and I did not notice any warning or mention that I would be automatically billed at a higher rate once I invited a guest. So I was surprised upon seeing the charge on my bank card and felt the process was (hopefully unintentionally) deceptive.

Two requests then please:
1) I would like my individual account reinstated at the original rate please, and
2) PLEASE make it more explicit in your site while performing this process that it automatically upgrades your account and charges your credit card.

Thank you kindly,
Tyler

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:unintentional family plan upgrade

Comments

• Corey_C
    Corey_C
    Community Member
    Options

Hey there @tylerbittner :)
    If you go to your 1Password.com web interface and click the settings tab on the sidebar on the right the page you are brought to should have button under "Account type" that will let you convert back to an individual account.

Hope that helps. :)

• tylerbittner
    tylerbittner
    Community Member
    Options

That worked, thanks Corey!
    Btw now I can see it was the "Invite the Family" button on the lower right which didn't show me billing options while I went thru it.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Glad that helped! Thanks for reaching out about this. I'm sorry for the confusion there. As the name implies, and "individual" 1Password.com membership doesn't have guests or any way to share with others; that is only available with family and team plans. We actually don't bill you until you've added payment information (which is also part of the process of choosing a plan, whether it be individual, family, or team), and pricing is shown both then and when you signed up for the account originally. We'll see if there are other places besides the cases where you setup billing where pricing might be appropriate though, hopefully without getting in anyone's way. Thanks for your feedback!

• calvingsc
    calvingsc
    Community Member
    Options

I had the same exact situation as @tylerbittner I agree with him that the account management page doesn't "explicitly state that it automatically upgrades your account and charges your credit card." I wasn't aware until I was sent an email with an invoice with pro-rated charges. @brenty I followed your steps to revert my account back to an individual account. Does it automatically revert the prorated charges?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited September 2017
    Options

@calvingsc: Your account will be credited for any difference (reflected on your billing page). If you have any trouble or additional questions about your account, be sure to contact us at support@1password.com from your registered address so we can help, as we can't discuss private information on a public forum. Cheers! :)

This discussion has been closed.