Remove 1Password dock icon (and use mini app)?

Options
NudnikShpilkes
NudnikShpilkes
Community Member

Is there a way to access 1Password from mini app icon and not have the dock icon visible? If I need to open the full app, I'll just do it from the settings gear in the mini app.

1Password Version: 6.8
Extension Version: 4.6.9
OS Version: 10.12.6
Sync Type: 1pw family plan
Referrer: forum-search:dock icon

Comments

• Corey_C
    Corey_C
    Community Member
    Options

Hi there @NudnikShpilkes :)
    Absolutely! 1Password Mini should remain open in your top bar even if you close the main app, removing it from your dock. That is, unless you have the app set to remain in your dock. If that's the case, close the app then right click on the dock icon, go to Options and click "Remove from Dock".

Give that a try and let me know how it goes :)
    Corey

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@NudnikShpilkes: To be clear, when the main 1Password app window is open, this will show up in the Dock. But as Corey_C alluded, when that is closed you can have it only in the menu bar. I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

• etstack
    etstack
    Community Member
    Options

The app is remaining in the dock even when closing the window now. It didn't use to. What's up?

• Corey_C
    Corey_C
    Community Member
    Options

@etstack It seems like 1Password got set to remain in your dock somehow. This is an easy fix. Right click on the 1Password icon in your dock, go to options and, depending on whether or not 1Password is open at the time, either uncheck "Keep in Dock" or click "Remove from Dock".

• etstack
    etstack
    Community Member
    Options

@Corey_C it's not set to keep in my dock. When I close the app it's not in the dock and I see the option to "keep in dock" under options. Think it's something with the last version?

• Corey_C
    Corey_C
    Community Member
    Options

@etstack Pardon me, but I'm a little confused here. You say that when you close 1Password the icon leaves your Dock. Isn't that what you want to happen?

• etstack
    etstack
    Community Member
    Options

@Corey_C When I click X I want the app to be running in the background but not show in my dock. The menubar icon should remain there. That used to happen, but now it's either showing in my dock when it's running or not showing in the dock and not running.

• Corey_C
    Corey_C
    Community Member
    Options

@etstack if 1Password is not showing up in your menubar, open up 1Password and, in the menu bar, click 1Password>Preferences. In the General tab make sure "Show 1Password in the menu bar" is checked. In the Browsers tab, make sure the "Always keep 1Password Extension Helper running" box is checked as well. If they aren't checked, check them, if they are, toggle them off and on a couple of times.

• etstack
    etstack
    Community Member
    Options

Well, you're right. Toggling both the menubar and browser extensions on multiple times did make it work as normal again. Thanks!

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@etstack - I'm glad to hear you're all set with this! On behalf of Corey_C, you're quite welcome - glad he was able to help. :)

This discussion has been closed.