A few questions before moving to the family subscription

Options
pjollain
pjollain
Community Member

Hi,

I would like to move from a standard account to a family account, and I have a few questions:

• I am using 1Password 6.8.1 on my MacBook, will I still use this version with the family subscription, or is there a different app?
  • I have read that, during the conversion on my existing vault, i will lose my folders, as "1Password accounts use tags instead of folders". I am administering several web sites, and have clearly separated things in 1password with a hierarchy of folders. How will tags be assigned? Will the items in site 1 / joomla be associated with both the tags "site 1" and "joomla"?
  • Now that I will have to deal with tags, what are the filtering features available? To go back to the previous example, will I be able to filter for items that contain both "site 1" and "joomla"?
  • And finally, will I be able to go back to my current 1Password setup if I am not satisfied?

Thanks,
Patrick

1Password Version: 6.8.1
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OSX 10.12.6
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

I am using 1Password 6.8.1 on my MacBook, will I still use this version with the family subscription, or is there a different app?

@pjollain: Yep! Same app, different configuration. :)

I have read that, during the conversion on my existing vault, i will lose my folders, as "1Password accounts use tags instead of folders".

Correct. They will be converted to tags.

I am administering several web sites, and have clearly separated things in 1password with a hierarchy of folders. How will tags be assigned? Will the items in site 1 / joomla be associated with both the tags "site 1" and "joomla"?

Exactly. Folders become tags.

Now that I will have to deal with tags, what are the filtering features available? To go back to the previous example, will I be able to filter for items that contain both "site 1" and "joomla"?

Yes! Tags are listed in the sidebar, and you can also use the search feature to find what you're looking for.

And finally, will I be able to go back to my current 1Password setup if I am not satisfied?

Absolutely! I'd recommend hanging onto your original vault while you're evaluating, but you can also use sort by date to easily find items you create or modify during that to copy them back if you decide not to stick with 1Password.com.

I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

• pjollain
    pjollain
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you for this detailed answer! I will make a test and let you know the outcome.

• Awesome. Let us know if you have any more questions.

Rick

• pjollain
    pjollain
    Community Member
    Options

Here is some feedback, after moving to a family account.
    As advised, when I logged in into my apps (on MacBook and iPhone), I declined to migrate my existing vault. As I have created my account with the same master password I was previously using, I can easily switch between my primary vault (the original one) and the 2 vaults that come by default with the family account, private and shared. Obviously, these last 2 are empty, except for a few entries automatically created.

From the primary vault, I can easily move or copy items to the private or shared vault. If the item is in a folder, a tag is not automatically created for this entry, as it would have been the case if I had migrated the vault. It is fine for me, as I take the opportunity to reorganise things a bit.

However, I noticed 2 bugs:

• On the Mac, sometimes the show/hide button does not appear beside Tags, preventing me from filtering by Tags. I saw this bug when selecting either private or shared vault, but not the primary vault or all vaults.
    • On the iPhone, when displaying "All vaults", I do not see the tags of the primary vault in the Organise section.

Should I report these bugs in the appropriate section?

• Manaburner
    Manaburner
    Community Member
    Options

Hi,
    I have no intention to hijack this post, so if you feel hijacked, I'm sorry.
    My question is kind of related to the "folders are converted to tags" on the initial import. Is it possible to re-start this import and conversion when you have declined it like the OP?

• @pjollain Thanks for the feedback! Tags are only created automatically in your new vault if you use the automatic migration process built in to 1Password for Mac. This would have prompted you to migrate your data right when you signed in to the account. You can run it manually, but it sounds like you've already moved your data over to that would be redundant at this point I'm afraid.

On the Mac, sometimes the show/hide button does not appear beside Tags, preventing me from filtering by Tags. I saw this bug when selecting either private or shared vault, but not the primary vault or all vaults.

The show/hide button should be displaying right when you hover over the tags section. If it's not, try clicking 1Password in the menu bar, holding Control and Option on your keyboard, and choosing Quit 1Password and 1Password mini. If this doesn't help, please try restarting your computer, and of course make sure you're using the latest version of 1Password for Mac, which is 6.8.2.

On the iPhone, when displaying "All vaults", I do not see the tags of the primary vault in the Organise section.

This would be correct. If you moved your data out of the vault, there's nothing to display in the tags so they wouldn't be shown in All Vaults at all.

Something that may help you at this point is to restore a backup of your old vault in 1Password for Mac, then run the automatic migration to move your folders/tags over automatically. You'll need to remove everything in your account vaults before you do this so there aren't duplicates. Then to run the migration manually, open 1Password for Mac, unlock it, and click Help > Tools > Migrate Primary Vault to Account.

Let us know how things go! :)

This discussion has been closed.