To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

Forgotten Master PW / Prevents Migration to 1PW for Families

Options
Mike_J
Mike_J
Community Member

Hello,

I'm having trouble with migrating to 1Password for Families. The Family account is set up and works just OK but I can't use either the desktop app or the Safari extension because I can't remember my master password to my old 1Password (individual) app I downloaded from the App Store several months ago and used for a short period of time.

I tried all the suggested recovery steps (https://support.1password.com/forgot-master-password/) but all have failed. I even followed this "Uninstall 1Password and 1Password extension for Safari" knowledge article (https://support.1password.com/uninstall-1password/) then downloaded both again, but it still requires my old password to login. I know this because the "hint" displayed after failure is related to my old password that I forget.

Note: the 1Password versions given below are for the recent downloads, not the originals from several months ago.

Thanks for your consideration.

1Password Version: 6.8.1
Extension Version: 4.6.11
OS Version: OS X 10.12.6
Sync Type: iCloud

Comments

• Hello @Mike_J, thanks for reaching out! If you can't recall your Master Password for your standalone vault, you won't be able to migrate that data to your new Family account, as you'll need the Master Password to unlock it and move it over. Are you wanting to migrate that old data or are you just wanting to set up the apps with your Family account only and start from scratch adding data? The latter we can definitely manage without your old Master Password, so just let us know if that's what you're after. :chuffed:

• Mike_J
    Mike_J
    Community Member
    Options

Hi. Yes, the latter; I just want to be able to start from scratch and add my data. I've started doing so but I can't use either the desktop app or the Safari extension. Please advise. Thanks :)

• Hi @Mike_J,

If you launch 1Password for Mac, you should be able to use the Help > Troublehshooting > Reset All 1Password Data menu item which will have you confirm with a code. Once that's done 1Password will quit and you'll be able to restart it and be treated like a new user. You should then be able to sign in with your 1Password Families information.

Cheers.

Rick

• Mike_J
    Mike_J
    Community Member
    Options

It worked. Thank You all very much!

• DanielP
    DanielP
    1Password Alumni
    Options

On behalf of Kate and Rick, you are very welcome @Mike_J :) Let us know if you need anything else!

This discussion has been closed.