1password extension keeps stopping working

Options
tamsenm
tamsenm
Community Member

I think i have 2 versions installed - 1 password and 1 password 6. Which should I have? This seems to confuse my chrome extension. every day instead of offering the master password to unlock, it says something like "1password or 1password 6".

Help!

1Password Version: 6.8.1
Extension Version: 4.6.11.91
OS Version: OSX 10.12.6
Sync Type: dropbox

Comments

• @tansenm,

Both are perfectly valid to have. You're going to want to figure out which one you're actually using and then get rid of the other one.

Rudy

• tamsenm
    tamsenm
    Community Member
    Options

which one should I use? I don't really know why i have 2 versions

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @tamsenm -- The application called simply 1Password is the version of our app downloaded from the Mac App Store. The application called 1Password 6 is the version of 1Password from our own website. The two are in most respects nearly identical, but Apple's requirements for Mac App Store apps, the data are stored in a different location from where non-Mac App Store apps store their data. That's why Rudy said you'll need to figure out which one you're actually using, and get rid of the other one.

You'll want to look at the data you have in whichever of those two is open right now, and see if it's your "correct", current data. Then Quit 1Password and the Mini by typing ^⌥⌘Q (or just holding down the Control and Option keys as you choose Quit from the 1Password menu) and open up the other version, and examine the data there as well. You may find that one is very old and unused...or you may discover that you've been using both, on different days, and thus your data is partly correct in both locations. Let us know what you discover, and if necessary we can help you get data combined or migrated.

• tamsenm
    tamsenm
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you both!

6 synched a minute ago...
    1password a few seconds ago - ruh-roh!

it looks like i have an itunes account from 2013 - so I assume keeping 6 would be better? How do I combine data so I don't get duplicates?

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    edited September 2017
    Options

Hi @tamsenm -- OK, so you do have both installed. Here's the next step: open whichever copy of 1Password you've currently got up, and go to Preferences > Sync. Select your vault, and you should see the file path of the actual sync keychain. Make note of it (again, don't post it here in this public forum).

Quit 1Password and the Mini by typing ^⌥⌘Q (or just holding down the Control and Option keys as you choose Quit from the 1Password menu), and then open the other copy of 1Password (whichever one wasn't open previously). Visit Preferences > Sync again, and make note of the file path of this sync keychain as well. Are they identical, or is one different from the other? Let us know.

• tamsenm
    tamsenm
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks @Lars both have the same primary vault. 1 has a shared vault with my husband (1password6)

• beyer
    beyer
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hey @tamsenm,

Sorry for the delay, some weekends are busier than others.

It sounds like you have two copies of 1Password syncing to the same Primary vault, which is good! Now you'll just, need to quit 1Password and the Mini by typing ^⌥⌘Q (or just holding down the Control and Option keys as you choose Quit from the 1Password menu), and then drag the version of 1Password you don't want to the Trash and empty it. Be sure to not use any app cleaners, just delete it the regular way so as to not risk losing your 1Password database as well.

If you happen to be left with the copy of 1Password that doesn't have your shared vault, all you need to do is double-click that vault's sync file from your Dropbox folder to add it back.

If you run into any issues, I'd like to ask you to create a diagnostics report from your Mac:

Sending Diagnostics Reports (Mac)

Attach the diagnostics to an email message addressed to support+forum@agilebits.com.

With your email please include:

• A link to this thread: https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/82177/
    • Your forum username: Tamsenm

That way we can "connect the dots" when we see your diagnostics in our inbox.

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number.  Please post that number here so we can track down the diagnostics and ensure that this issue is dealt with quickly. :)

Once we see the diagnostics we'll be able to better assist you. Have a great week!

--
    Andrew Beyer (Ann Arbor, MI)
    Lifeline @ AgileBits

This discussion has been closed.