How do I remove 1Password on my iphone and ipad and use version on Mac for everything?

Options
Waddy
Waddy
Community Member

I think I have two versions of 1Password. One is on my Mac, and another on my iPhone and iPad. They dont sync. I'd like to use Mac version on everything. What do I do?

1Password Version: 6.8.1
Extension Version: 4.6.11.91
OS Version: 10.12.6
Sync Type: iCloud
Referrer: forum-search:How do I combine two versions one on Mac and another on iPhone & iPad?

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Waddy - when you say "two versions," do you mean to different versions of the 1Password app? Or two different versions of your data? If it's the former, that's to be expected; we develop 1Password on four different platforms (Windows, Mac, iOS and Android), and they won't always be the same exact version -- can't be, in fact.

If you meant you have two versions of your data between your Mac and your iOS devices, that's a different story. If you're 100% sure you don't need any of the data on your iOS devices, then it's actually quite easy. But if I were you, I'd want to be very sure I didn't need that data. Assuming you're sure, here's what to do:

• On both iOS devices, unlock 1Password and go to Settings > Advanced
    • Scroll down until you see Erase All 1Password Data in red at the bottom, and click it.
    • Confirm that you want to do this. 1Password will quit and you'll be returned to your device's home screen.

This will wipe the data from your iOS devices, so that the next time you launch 1Password, it will be as if you are a new user. The next question would be: what method do you want to use to sync data between your Mac and iOS devices?

• Waddy
    Waddy
    Community Member
    Options

I think I bought two versions. The phone and ipad share one and the Mac is a different one. This happened I believe years ago when I thought I was updating the iphone version and inadvertently bought it again for the Mac. I want to sync through the cloud.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Waddy -- OK, can you please tell me the specific version numbers of 1Password on your devices? On your Mac, you can find it in the About tab in the 1Password menu. On iOS, go to Settings and scroll down -- you should see the version number in small print just above the "Advanced" tab. Can you also tell me what cloud you're hoping to use? A 1Password membership is the best way to use 1Password, but you can also use iCloud or Dropbox. Each requires different setup, however.

• Waddy
    Waddy
    Community Member
    Options

I don't see an "Advanced" tab under Settings on my iPhone.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    edited September 2017
    Options

@Waddy -- did you scroll all the way down to the bottom? If you did and you still don't see it, then can I ask you which of these icons your 1Password app on your iOS devices most closely resembles?

• Waddy
    Waddy
    Community Member
    Options

I did. The icon is D on the phone. Version on Mac is 6.8.1.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Waddy - can you tell me what you see when you tap "Settings" in 1Password for iOS? If you prefer, you can take a screenshot of your Settings page and attach it to a reply here.

• Waddy
    Waddy
    Community Member
    Options

I think I found it on the phone. Under Log Settings, it says version 6.9.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Waddy -- OK, great. So you're running current versions on iOS. On your Mac, you can update to 6.8.2, but that's not strictly necessary right away. Have you figured out what "cloud" method you'd like to use to sync your data?

• Waddy
    Waddy
    Community Member
    Options

How do I figure out what cloud method I'm currently using?

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Waddy -- in your initial post here, you said your devices were not syncing. To me, that means you're not using any method of sync. I wasn't asking you what method you ARE using (because I understood you to say you weren't using any); I was asking what method you'd like to use.

• Waddy
    Waddy
    Community Member
    Options

My apologies. Right now, they are not syncing through the cloud or when I connect the phone to the Mac like I occasionally do for iTunes. By that I mean that entries I enter on the phone or on the Mac don't appear on the other devices. I don't have a preference, although I suppose it would be more efficient to use the cloud like all my other apps (photos, etc.). Hope that helps. I'm lost.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Waddy -- OK, so let me check something: did you already perform the steps I mentioned in my first response, above? Did you already erase your 1Password data from your iOS devices? Or have you not done that yet? If you haven't done that yet, I want to make 100% SURE we're on the same page here. Do you have data in 1Password on either of your iOS devices that you need, and that isn't in 1Password on your Mac? Or is the data on your iOS devices not needed? Let me know and we'll proceed from there.

• Waddy
    Waddy
    Community Member
    Options

I have not erased anything yet. Any data on the devices is on the Mac or can be easily reentered.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

OK. If you're entirely sure, then can you tell me what sync method you'd like to use, going forward? A 1Password membership is unquestionably easiest in the long term. For a single user, it's $35.88/yr ($2.99/mo, paid annually). Or you can stick with the setup you already have, and use either Dropbox or iCloud. But I do need to know how you'd like to proceed, since it makes a difference to what instructions I give you.

This discussion has been closed.