ios 11, safari and firefox and 1password icon/usage

Comments

• alienmeatsack
    alienmeatsack
    Community Member
    edited September 2017

@Spaldo - What did you mean extra steps? In Chrome on my iPad Pro (as seen in the shots above) its the same number of steps as FF or Safari... load login page, click [^] in browser of choice, select 1P from the list, authenticate, select item and go.

Are you having to do more to get there?

Update, I noticed on the iPad, the [^] is just up in the corner. BUT on iPhone in iOS 11, you have to hit the 3 stacked dots, THEN the [^], maybe that is what you meant, and I agree, I’d rather have that up at top on the phone and lose a tiny bit of address bar space personally.

IOS 11 on iPhone 7+ in Portrait and Landscape, the [^] is still hidden behind the 3 stacked dots even in landscape. Silly.

• Spaldo
    Spaldo
    Community Member

@alienmeatsack well said. PS. You should submit any of those sites to the 1Pass team as well so they can look at it

• alienmeatsack
    alienmeatsack
    Community Member

FYI, 1P doesnt appear in Puffin or Red Onion, I think Puffin is FF at the core. It does appear in Opera Mini but it “crashes” the app if you try to open 1P and fill in a form. I also tried (thinking mayb they hadn’t updated it), FF Focus and it’s also missing there so I guess they pulled it across their whole core.

I’m afraid to try the other browsers besides your list above, I dont trust them. And I’m not paying for iCab to test it, they crossed me years ago and get coal in their stockings from me forever.

I can’t think of any other browsers that are good and relevant to test. Will check w the team about getting my banking/card sites working. I just figured they are secure and very personal so I just put up w the extra step to get in vs hassling someone to get things working.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

I hear ya. Thanks for the kind words! Unfortunately on iOS there isn't anything we can do to add/fix extension integration in 3rd party apps, but I'm sure that Mozilla is working on it. :)

• Spaldo
    Spaldo
    Community Member

@alienmeatsack , yep, I meant in Chrome you had to press the 3 dots before the arrow then 1P. Only one extra step but still more work ;)

• Spaldo
    Spaldo
    Community Member

@alienmeatsack , I tried iCab after reading your post. I can say it’s worth the few dollars to test it out. It has an amazing amount of customisation! It works with 1Pass. It may even end up as my browser when FF is back (it has FF sync as well)

• prime
    prime
    Community Member

@alienmeatsack @Spaldo if you 2are looking for an iOS browsers to work with 1Password, one called Brave is really good AND has build in features to work with 1Password (along with extra build in privacy features). I use it as my Facebook browser since I don’t have the Facebook app on my phone. Another one I just started to try is Yandex, and it works also with 1Password. Both are free also.

• alienmeatsack
    alienmeatsack
    Community Member

@Spaldo - Good to know! I used it ages ago when it was the standard defacto for following the HTML standards to the letter, as a web designer I had to use it because I knew if it worked in that it worked everywhere. I will check it out to see how I like it. It’s only $2 USD.

@prime - Thanks for the heads up, I’ve never heard of either! I always am on the lookout for a browser that I like. I am a FF guy most the time but finding something better is good. And w 1P support, and free, that’s a no brainer to at least try!

And when FF is finally fixed, wahoo as well!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

I tried iCab after reading your post. I can say it’s worth the few dollars to test it out. It has an amazing amount of customisation! It works with 1Pass. It may even end up as my browser when FF is back (it has FF sync as well)

@Spaldo: Whoa. You've got my attention. I'll have to check that out! Haven't looked at iCab since I used their Mac app back in the day.

if you 2are looking for an iOS browsers to work with 1Password, one called Brave is really good AND has build in features to work with 1Password (along with extra build in privacy features). I use it as my Facebook browser since I don’t have the Facebook app on my phone. Another one I just started to try is Yandex, and it works also with 1Password. Both are free also.

@prime: I didn't realize that Yandex was available on iOS. Some great info has come out of this Firefox issue. :lol:

I’ve never heard of either! I always am on the lookout for a browser that I like. I am a FF guy most the time but finding something better is good. And w 1P support, and free, that’s a no brainer to at least try!

@alienmeatsack: I prefer Vivaldi, but also am fond of Brave on macOS and Windows. Definitely check it out. Very lightweight, privacy-focused, and free — and works with 1Password. :sunglasses:

Now to begin my longtime desktop multi-browser habit on iOS...

• prime
    prime
    Community Member

@brenty Brave seems so cool! Vivaldi is great too, but they need and iOS app. I like to stick with one browser, and I have yet to have that one. I need to give Yandex a try, and I might soon.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

:) :+1:

• Spaldo
    Spaldo
    Community Member
    edited September 2017

I don’t mind Brave; it just needs a little more development. ATM you can’t set a new tab homepage or even add those little tiles. Once that is a feature, then I think it will be pretty good as a main browser...

• Thanks folks. Let's keep this thread on topic, though. :)

Ben

• avinator
    avinator
    Community Member
    edited September 2017

Sooooo......nothing yet hey? Kinda disappointed at this whole Firefox fiasco :(
    Guess I’ll have to use safari and brave

• AGKyle
    AGKyle
    1Password Alumni

@avinator

We do not believe this is something we can "fix," nor is it something that we believe Firefox can fix. Our understanding could be incorrect though. We've filed the appropriate bug reports and are awaiting a response for more information, being told it's our problem, or a confirmation of fix, whichever the case may be. Unfortunately, when these types of things are not within your ability to fix you have to make due with what you can, and we don't think this one is within our ability to fix at this time.

That said, this does fall on us to some extent, we were not aware this was a problem until it was potentially too late to get a fix out in time. Part of that was perhaps due to poor testing on our part but the impact this had was actually not directly with 1Password but surrounding it in other ways. So our testing focused on 1Password specifically, not some of the other things around it in the Share Sheet. As a result we did not see this problem until it was too late. So we'll happily fall on that sword and I've updated my testing process here to try to keep an eye on these types of things better. Firefox, I think, did the best they could given the situation. They identified a problem, created a work around, but unfortunately that workaround broke 1Password so they removed support for it temporarily until this issue is resolved. I can't blame them, they wanted everything to work as expected but it wasn't to be this time.

I am sorry to anyone who is impacted by this, it's definitely not a pleasant experience to use tools that aren't what you want to use when those used to work. We're doing all we can to try to get this resolved and we really wish this was a problem on our side so that we could get it fixed promptly for you. If it turns out to be an issue on our side we'll get it fixed up as quickly as we possibly can.

I'll do my best to update here if I learn anything new, but I do not have anything new to share besides that we are continuing to do everything we can to get to the bottom of this.

• btownguy
    btownguy
    Community Member

This is greatly affecting me as well. Firefox is my go-to browser on all platforms. Watching this thread closely in hopes of a fix.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Here's hoping. It's really nice to have different browsers to choose from.

• avinator
    avinator
    Community Member

I think it will get fixed eventually....we’ll just have to wait. Like Brenty just pointed out, it’s nice to have other browsers to choose from...

• Spaldo
    Spaldo
    Community Member

Hopefully more browsers integrate 1P a bit better. I just tried Chrome and you have to press a few extra buttons to get it to put the password in, rather than just coming up in the login page like some browsers

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

I think it will get fixed eventually....we’ll just have to wait. Like Brenty just pointed out, it’s nice to have other browsers to choose from...

@avinator: I actually meant that it will be nice once Firefox is any option again...but let's retcon that: your interpretation is much more positive. :lol:

Hopefully more browsers integrate 1P a bit better. I just tried Chrome and you have to press a few extra buttons to get it to put the password in, rather than just coming up in the login page like some browsers

@Spaldo: Yeah, not crazy about the extra steps in Chrome, but mobile devices do mean making tradeoffs for screen real estate, so I can understand that the Share [ ↑ ] sheet isn't their priority. I was really hoping for some movement from Apple in this area. Hopefully with Google's initiatives this year they'll be motivated to improve things on iOS in this regard as well. :)

• Spaldo
    Spaldo
    Community Member

@brenty unfortunately Firefox is also going away from the Share [ ↑ ] sheet button on the main page. I am testing the next beta and it has been hidden behind another button :(

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Gaahhh... :angry:

• prime
    prime
    Community Member

That just sucks. Well, I guess I’ll just stick to Safari for iOS. So far it hasn’t let me down.

• :+1: :)

Ben

• btownguy
    btownguy
    Community Member

Officially bailed on Firefox for iOS today since the share/1Password feature no longer works. Bummer. Meant that I had to install iCloud for Windows on my laptop for bookmark syncing.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

I didn't even know that iCloud for Windows included bookmarks. Good to know! :love:

• avinator
    avinator
    Community Member
    edited October 2017

@btownguy "Officially bailed on Firefox for iOS today since the share/1Password feature no longer works. Bummer. Meant that I had to install iCloud for Windows on my laptop for bookmark syncing."

That's just plain SAD.... I am still on Firefox using Enpass. ;)

• @avinator

Let’s keep this thread on topic, please. :) If you’d like to talk about Enpass I’m sure they’d love to hear about it over on their support forum.

Ben

• Spaldo
    Spaldo
    Community Member

Looks like Firefox iOS has been fixed with 1Password support. Hopefully the release will be out soon :)

• @Spaldo: Good to hear! I've been obsessing over drag and drop lately since I can use it anywhere I want (or maybe just because it magical and new), but as has been mentioned here before, options are great. :chuffed: :+1:

This discussion has been closed.