Family members private vaults are visible

The list of vaults shown when clicking the vault icon next to the search field, will show the vaults of other family members that have not been shared with me. I am guessing that is not intended behavior. I am the family organizer if that might be what is causing it.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• beyer
    beyer
    1Password Alumni

Hey @ovvi,

Thanks for taking the time to post this issue. I did a little testing on my end, and it looks like I've been able to recreate what you are seeing.

It looks like we are showing vaults that are in a slight permission dilemma. Although you don't have access to view or edit items within the vaults you're seeing, you can manage those shared vaults as a Family Organizer. To double-check this theory, can you please try clicking the i button next to the vaults you don't have access to?

This will open the vault details page, and if I'm correct you'll see the following message:

All family organizers can also manage this vault.

Meaning you, as a Family Organizer, could give yourself access to view and edit the items within that shared vault. This would explain why the vault is listed (since you can manage it), but without further permissions, you shouldn't see any items from that vault included within 1Password for Chrome. These direct links can be pretty handy to manage vaults quickly, but in this case, I could see where this could be confusing since we don't list these in any of our other apps.

I'll need to double-check with the team to verify our intent here and get this changed. Let me know if you're seeing something different, in the meantime, I'll dig into the code.

--
    Andrew Beyer (Ann Arbor, MI)
    Lifeline @ AgileBits

• obvi
    obvi
    Community Member

It looks like your theory was correct, I clicked the i and it showed the "All family organizers can also manage this vault." message, just like you described. Is there a way to make a vault private for family organizers? If not I am a strong advocate for the vaults being hidden in the extension.

• beyer
    beyer
    1Password Alumni

@obvi: It's helpful when I spot the issue early on. :+1:

I completely agree with you, so I've gone in and submitted a change to hide vaults that you don't have access to view items in. Pending approval (so no guarantees until it's reviewed and accepted), this will be in the next release of 1Password for Chrome.

Thanks for bringing this to my attention!

--
    Andrew Beyer (Ann Arbor, MI)
    Lifeline @ AgileBits

This discussion has been closed.