1P stopped working on my imac

Options
gravespk
gravespk
Community Member

The 1P launch button on my browser is greyed out. The 1P launch button on the top bar of the mac window will open, but not operate unless I type in a few letters from the website I want to log into (many times - years- visited before) then must manually log in with the information. Trying to log in with "click" forces a reload of the log-in page. I'm using 1P 6.8.2 and iOS 10.11.6 on an '09 MAC. I got this working yesterday, but today it's useless, again. BTW the 1P extension does not appear in my System Preferences library, but I just hit (again) the big green button today.

1Password Version: 6.8.2
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OS X 10.11.6
Sync Type: Dropbox
Referrer: forum-search:1P stopped working on my imac

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @gravespk -- sorry to hear you're having trouble with 1Password in your browser. I kept reading, hoping you might tell me what browser you're using, but no luck. :)

Can you please restart your Mac and try this again -- and if it doesn't work, provide me with a few more details? Specifically, what browser are you using, what version, and also what version of the 1Password extension. Good luck!

• gravespk
    gravespk
    Community Member
    Options

After restart the 1P has resumed. Thanks for the idea. Why not post it as a solution and you won't have to deal with this question?

• danco
    danco
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

Glad to hear it worked!

But I wouldn't want to have a post specifically suggesting it.

Why not? Because "try restarting your computer" is the simple advice for any peculiar behaviour! I've used it many times, and also forgotten it from time to time.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@gravespk -- All of us here are painfully aware how cliché it sounds to say "have you tried restarting your device?" But the reason that's become such a ubiquitous tech-support cliché is, as @danco says, because of how startlingly often that's the only thing that needs to be done to resume normal operation.

Computers - ANY computers, including Macs - get (for lack of a better word) woolier and woolier the longer they're left running. The chance that two applications will conflict somehow, or that some background OS process will fail (often silently in the background, and without warning the user in any visible way), increases with the sheer number of days a given device has been continuously running.

As people who do this all day, every work day, we tend to see some of the same problems more than once. So anytime there's some truly odd behavior that I can't recall having seen before, "restart" is my go-to advice. It doesn't always work, but you'd be surprised how often it does. Glad it did for you, and let us know if you need anything else. Cheers! :)

This discussion has been closed.