Did I miss a step in the recovery process?

scottelundgren
scottelundgren
Community Member

Tell me if I've forgotten a step in the recovery process, please:

1. Family member hates 1Password as a concept, doesn't use it then forgets their 1Password master password.
  2. I, as family organizer, log into our 1Password.com account click "Begin Recovery" for said family's member
  3. Family member receives email & clicks link to "Recover my account"
  4. Family member prints new secret key & sets new master password
  5. I, as family organizer, click "Complete account recovery" when notified
  6. Family member can log into our family account on 1Password.com with their new secret key and master password

But the family member's 1Password applications on OS X 10.12.6 (1Password 6.8.2 from the Agilebits Store) & iOS 10.3.3 won't open with the new password. They can't add a new account in iOS because 1Password won't unlock. When they open 1Password 6 --> Preferences they can see a family account with the wrong secret key but the account + & - buttons are greyed out so they can't add the new account to sign in again.

What was the family member supposed to do after step 6?

1Password Version: 6.8.2
Extension Version: 4.6.11.91
OS Version: 10.12.6
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@scottelundgren: If they are greyed out, it's because the app is locked. We don't want people to be able to delete your accounts behind your back. So you won't be able to get into it without knowing the correct Master Password, but you can reset the app to set it up with the new credentials:

https://support.1password.com/starting-over/

Since logging into the website works we know you'll be okay from there. I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

This discussion has been closed.