cannot sync all devices after they've worked for years.

danlfly1
danlfly1
Community Member

3 iOS and 3 mac. preferences doesn't show any vault on some devices. iPhone shows primary vault and iPhone vault although i never tried to create separate ones. changed from iCloud to dropbox some months ago; seemed to work, but after i was compromised by the equifax mess, i got nervous about the cloud and tried to convert everything over to the WLAN, the problems started. Some work, others don't. Options in preferences vary greatly by device.

1Password Version: 6.8.2
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.12.5
Sync Type: won't
Referrer: forum-search:cannot sync all devices after they've worked for years. 3 iOS and 3 mac. preferences doesn't show any vault on some devices. iPhone shows primary vault and iPhone vault although i never tried to create separate ones. changed from iCloud to dropbox some months ago; seemed to work, but after i was compromised by the equifax mess, i got nervous about the cloud and tried to convert everything over to the WLAN, the problems started. Some work, others don't. Options in preferences vary greatly by device.

Comments

• Corey_C
    Corey_C
    Community Member

Hi there @danlfly1 :)
    WLAN syncing is a tricky thing. As you have experienced, it can vary greatly by device, network environment and many other factors. It's there for people who are willing to put the effort into setting it up and deal with the problems, but it's never going to be the most reliable of sync methods. The main thing I can suggest is perusing the setup guide and then trying the steps on the troubleshooting page and seeing if any of it helps you out.

Cheers. :)

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    edited February 2018

Hi @danlfly1 - I just had one quick thought to follow up on @Corey_C's excellent advice. He's right; if you're planning to stick with WLAN sync, we can't offer much in the way of assistance beyond the links he's already provided to you, because of the near-infinite variability of different routers and other devices.

However, although I understand and approve of your overall skepticism when it comes to your own digital security, a 1Password account with data stored securely on our own servers is truly quite secure. If you're interested in reading up on the security further, I'd recommend our 1password.com security white paper which goes into significant detail about how we keep your data secure and private (even from us!). If all six of your devices are capable of running current versions of OS and 1Password, a 1password.com account would certainly solve the headaches of intermittent WLAN sync. Just a thought; let us know if you have any questions about any of it. Cheers!

• danlfly1
    danlfly1
    Community Member

Thanks guys. I'd be happy to put it back on the cloud. Problem is, I can't find anywhere in the 1Password sync setup on some of the devices where it gives me the option to do it. I'd be happy to use your cloud or iCloud. Just running into a huge roadblock trying to find a way to do it. Believe me, I've seen the error of my ways with WLAN.

• danlfly1
    danlfly1
    Community Member

BTW...my other problem is my Primary Vault isn't the only vault, so that seems to be a problem for merging. Somehow, a PHONE vault showed up on my iPhone 6S (along with the primary vault) so I don't know how to get them all together. In other words, my phone has both the Primary vault and the iPhone vault. Since I make most of my password changes on the phone, I'm not sure what is where. Thanks

• Corey_C
    Corey_C
    Community Member

Hi @danlfly1 :)
    I'm not quite sure of an easy way to merge vaults aside from going through them manually and moving the relevant items to a single vault or simply copying all the contents of one of the vaults to the other and then going and deleting the duplicates. Perhaps someone else can advise you better on that. :sweat:

Although, once you do get that all sorted and have everything you want in your Primary vault, migrating it all to a new 1Password subscription account, if that is what you want to do, is actually rather simple. Just follow these instructions and everything will be migrated over to the new account vault. :)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@danlfly1: I'd encourage you to create some new vaults in your 1Password.com account in your browser, so that you can move data from each of your various vaults to your account. That way, once you have all of your data there, even in different vaults, you just need to sign into your account in 1Password for Mac and it will be much easier to sort things there. I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

• danlfly1
    danlfly1
    Community Member

Thanks brenty. I was able to get everything back together on dropbox with some manual editing as suggested by Cory C.
    I'm not sure 1. how to make new vaults and 2. what is the benefit of more than one across all devices? thanks.

I just posted a new problem on another forum page regarding opening my app this morning and initially saw my hundreds of passwords there, then poof all but 16 were gone! I'm freaked out about that now. Posted to try and find out how to stop this loss of data. Thats under my same name if you have a moment to check the details. Took IOS devices off line to preserve the data from being changed by the cloud sync.

thanks for all the help guys!!

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@danlfly1 - here are some steps for creating new vaults in your 1Password account. In general, the benefit of additional vaults is only whatever you think it is: many solo users have only one vault and never feel the need for more. Some people put certain info (like, say, work logins and passwords) into one vault and other data (like "personal" logins) into a different vault. This can help with organization, but it's certainly not necessary unless you benefit from it.

I think what brenty meant was for you to make a couple of vaults in your account, so you could transfer the contents of the two semi-duplicative vaults you now have on your iPhone into vaults on your account in a one-to-one manner, so that the new vaults created on your account would match the (confused) way things are on your iPhone currently. From there, either on the web or in 1Password for Mac, you could much more easily edit, delete and move those items just where you ultimate want them, and finally delete (or re-use) the "transfer" vaults. Let us know if you need further assistance or have additional questions.

This discussion has been closed.