i have upgraded to a new Mac, now my 1password password is rejected

honeydav
honeydav
Community Member

i enter my known password to my 1password app on my new macbook, it is rejected after character 6 when i press the caps key. I get a big picture of a finger.

1Password Version: 6.8.2
Extension Version: 4.6.11
OS Version: 10.11.6
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:I have upgraded to a new Mac, now my 1password password is not recognised

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

Hi @honeydav - A picture of a finger? I can't say I know what that might be; it's certainly not anything we've ever put into 1Password itself! I'm wondering, did you follow this procedure (more or less) to get your 1Password data onto your new device? If not, can you tell us what steps you did take? Thanks in advance for the additional information.

• honeydav
    honeydav
    Community Member

Hi Lars in fact it is endemic on my machine, not just 1Password, it happens whenever I press caps lock when completing a password. Must be a virus. I have disabled caps lock as a workaround, now i can log in to 1Password by using the shift key for caps, then the 'finger' virus is not seen. Thanks.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@honeydav - I certainly hope it is not a virus; I can't imagine anyone taking the time to write remote-exploit code that just gives you the finger when you use caps-lock! (although, not gonna lie, the image of that happening did give me a chuckle) ;) I'm guessing (by which I mean: I've never heard of this before) that it's more likely to be some kind of clipboard manager or other system utility that you've installed, maybe a long time ago and forgotten about, that you're triggering somehow now? I truly don't know. But the fact that it's happening system-wide means I feel pretty confident in saying this is not due to a conflict with 1Password. Let us know if there's any way we can assist, and good luck!

• honeydav
    honeydav
    Community Member

I found it. I had freeware ShadeIT! from DeepIT. To tone down brightness. Without any documentation, it has some sort of Caps Lock monitor, no idea why. And I even found the rude 'finger' png on my my system that it was using. Uninstalled ShadeIT! and restored caps lock key to normal. All ok. Thanks for your help.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@honeydav - Ha! Well, all's well that ends well; I'm glad you were able to sort everything out. Cheers! :)

This discussion has been closed.