I just bought subscription. My passwords are not online... How do I do that, please?

mistercrisp
mistercrisp
Community Member

Do I have to export my passwords from the one computer that has all the data? Then I want to synch to other computers.

1Password Version: 6.3.2
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OS X 10.10.5
Sync Type: 1Password
Referrer: forum-search:I just bought subscription. My passwords are not online... How do I do that, please?

Comments

• Corey_C
    Corey_C
    Community Member

Hi there @mistercrisp :)
    Are you setting up 1Password for the first time or were you using 1Password already before buying the subscription? If you were using 1Password before, you need to migrate your data to your new account.

After you have migrated your data, or if you are setting up 1Password for the first time, all you need to do is sign in to your account on your new device and all your data will be there.

• mistercrisp
    mistercrisp
    Community Member

I am using 1Password as a standalone on one computer. I just bought the subscription. I will follow the migration instructions. Stay tuned... :-)

• mistercrisp
    mistercrisp
    Community Member

I am sorry I am so dense. If I am an individual and not part of a team, and I have one application on my mac, with a local vault with all my passwords, and I add a 1Password account. what is my "Sign-In Address?" It is not my email address.

• Corey_C
    Corey_C
    Community Member

@mistercrisp the Sign-In Address for individual accounts is https://my.1password.com. It would probably be easier for you to find your Setup Code to fill both your sign-in address and secret key automatically than typing it in manually. But you can do it manually if you wish, or if you can't find your code.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@mistercrisp: Indeed! And be sure to let us know if you have any other questions. We're here for you! :)

• mistercrisp
    mistercrisp
    Community Member

Thanks to you both for being there! One thing I am curious about - I have the vault with my passwords on it, on my computer. Once I upload it so it is available to the other computers, then I delete the vault? Yikes. So when I log in on another computer, do I have to be online in order to get my passwords? Thanks

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@mistercrisp - no, that's not (quite) how it works. With your 1password.com account, you'll have your passwords stored "online," but each device on which you run a 1Password app will ALSO keep a local cache of your data. That's how you're able to open and use 1Password if, say, you're in an area with no internet connection. Your local copy of 1Password will try to sync the data as soon as it's launched by you, but if it can't, it will just use the local cache, and sync the first chance it gets when you have an internet connection again.

You will have to have a working internet connection to sign into your 1Password account on a new device for the first time, because 1Password has to verify that you input the right credentials (like Secret Key and Master Password). But once that initial download is done of your data to the new device, you won't need to be online to use 1Password.

• mistercrisp
    mistercrisp
    Community Member

Thanks very much Lars. I appreciate knowing how things work.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@mistercrisp - You're quite welcome! Feel free to drop by any time if you have questions or need assistance. :)

This discussion has been closed.