Sync via iCloud not working at all

Martin59
Martin59
Community Member
edited October 2017 in Mac

Syncing via Apple iCloud since last week - 3 Macs, iPad and iPhone.

Yesterday I had problems, today not working at all.

Resetted EVERYTHING, uninstalled 1password on all devices, restored from 1password backup (library) zip file two weeks old (the youngest backup before switching to iCloud) on the three Macs, iOS via WLAN sync.

Article "If you’re having trouble syncing with iCloud" - checked everything.

Now via iCloud - no syncing at all - strange (?)
created "safe notes" on all 5 devices (calles "note iMac", "note MacBook", ... , "note iPad") they all stay on the item they are created on - they do not appear on any other device.

Switching to Syncing via iOS<->MacOS via 1password WLAN sync (only one Mac serving) and between Macs via a synced Synology NAS "Cloud Station" folder working perfect. All items in one WLAN network. Same test as above - the notes appear nearly immediately on all devices. I used syncing this way since years - but WLAN sync sometimes does not immediately work; maybe because using all three Macs as "1password WLAN servers" depending which one I have with me. At least one Mac has to run in the same WLAN network, so syncing via iCloud seemed to be easier.

The 1password vault is on Apples Servers anyway (iCloud backup of iPhone and iPad) so I prefer syncing via iCloud ...

Thanks for your hints.

1Password Version: 6.82
Extension Version: 4.6.11
OS Version: 10.13 ergänzendes update
Sync Type: iCloud

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

Hi @Martin59 -- sorry to hear you're having trouble! It sounds as if you've been very methodical with your troubleshooting, if you've been through all the steps in our iCloud troubleshooting article. However, if you've been reading that article, then you also will have noticed the disclaimer at the top of the page that says because iCloud is complex and depends on many factors, including your network environment and software configuration, we’re unable to troubleshoot issues with iCloud beyond the scope of this article.

I noticed you said you thought about switching to iCloud because it seemed easier and I'm sorry that hasn't been your experience. If you're looking for a truly easier and more reliable sync method, you may want to try a 1Password account.

• Martin59
    Martin59
    Community Member

ok Lars will think about my little paranoia ;-)

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@Martin59 -- paranoia? That doesn't sound good! What are you worried about?

• Martin59
    Martin59
    Community Member
    edited October 2017

:)
    will check and read about a 1password account.
    no extra costs using a Mac App Store version?

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@Martin59 - for years since the very beginning, 1Password was sold as a standalone app, eventually on four different platforms (Mac, Windows, iOS and Android). Until the launch of 1password.com accounts, users had to purchase licenses for each version separately (though we did offer a higher-priced "bundle" license for the two desktop versions). 1password.com accounts are different: instead of a single-purchase for a license for a single specific version of 1Password on one platform, 1password.com accounts are subscription-based. You get all the advantages of the 1password.com service including unlimited access to all 1Password apps - and all future upgrades, for as long as you maintain your account. Let us know if you have any questions! :)

This discussion has been closed.