Help Me Help A Friend Who Thinks She Needs A New iOS Password Manager. . .

Options
MrMojoOne
MrMojoOne
Community Member

A non-techie friend messaged me a few days ago and asked me what password manager I recommend to replace 1Password. I asked her why she wants a new password manager and she replied that she learned that 1Password will "die" with the new iOS upgrade. When I pressed her for more background info since I hadn't heard of such a thing, she told me that "a little banner popped-up and said the owner of 1Password site has not updated the site, so it is incompatible or may not open or I can't remember what it said. And I heard of someone who was unable to get into it after they upgraded."

To be fair, my friend knows next to nothing about digital devices. She also recently suffered a near-death medical crisis that has affected her cognitive abilities, although they are slowly returning.

I'm stumped at this point. . . My friend lives out of town so I cannot help her in person. Currently, I don't use 1Password on my iOS devices, so I haven't been confronted with any pop-ups related to its use. I'd appreciate it if someone could advise me about what she may be referring to and what I can do to assist her.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Corey_C
    Corey_C
    Community Member
    Options

Hi there @MrMojoOne :)
    It appears that your friend is using a really old version of 1Password. The notices she is getting are because iOS 11 drops support for 32-bit apps, which the old versions of 1Password are. She will need to update to 1Password 6 and migrate her data over. If she has not yet updated to iOS 11, DON'T. Make sure she does not update her iOS yet as migrating her data will be much easier while still on iOS 10.

If she has not updated her iOS yet and can still open 1Password, have her follow these instructions
    to migrate her data over to the current version of 1Password. 1Password 6 will run on iOS 11, so once the data is safely migrated, she will be able to continue using 1Password after upgrading.

I hope that helps with your situation. :)

• MrMojoOne
    MrMojoOne
    Community Member
    Options

Many thanks! I've already forwarded the info to her.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@MrMojoOne: Glad that helped! And don't either of you hesitate to reach out if you have any questions at all. We're here for you! :)

This discussion has been closed.