To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

Forgot master password but have account key. Cannot reset online account

Options
janstolle
janstolle
Community Member

Hi,

I created an online account a while back and still have the account key from the emergency kit, however not the master password. I have not found an option to reset the account. Does that mean I cannot use my email address anymore for 1Password and need to create a new account with a different email?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:master password reset

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hey @janstolle -- when you sign into your 1Password account for the first time on a new device, you'll need both the Secret Key and your Master Password; subsequent access on the same device requires only the Master Password, as you Secret Key is stored in the app (or browser's) memory.

That means, of the two, the Master Password is the more-critical one because you're required to type or paste it in each time you want to sign in. If you've forgotten the Master Password, you will not be able to access your account. And you're right; my.1password.com will only allow one account to be created from each email address.

So, if you're certain you can't remember the Master Password you chose, send us an email from the address you used to register the account to support+forum@agilebits.com and we'll send you out a deletion email which will allow you to delete the account. You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number in the subject line of your email.  Please post that number here so we can track down the email and ensure that this issue is dealt with quickly. :)

NOTE: You will lose any data you have in your account when you delete it, so be sure it's what you want to do. After deletion, you will no longer be registered using that email address, and can head over to the main 1Password sign-up page and create a new 1Password account using the same email address.

• janstolle
    janstolle
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @Lars,

Thanks very much for your help. I just sent the email, here is the number I received: #WTY-55968-448

Regards,
    Jan

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@janstolle - thanks for that! Looks like my colleague Daniel is already all over it, so let's keep the conversation going over there. :)

ref: WTY-55968-448

This discussion has been closed.