To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

Installed 1P on new Mac. Need to transfer license (old style, not subscription)

Options
kent_skinner
kent_skinner
Community Member

I had to reinstall the OS on my Mac and reinstall everything, including 1Password.

How do I move my existing license to the new installation?

I have a file called "License.onepassword-license" saved on my drive.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @kent_skinner! You should be able to just double-click that license with 1Password running and unlocked, and it will install itself. Have you already tried that? If so, and if it didn't work for you, what happened instead?

• kent_skinner
    kent_skinner
    Community Member
    Options

@Lars - thanks for the reply.

I have tried double-clicking the license file. It looks like it opens a window (there's an outline of a small window opening) but nothing happens.

I have tried double-clicking, then restarting 1P. I have doubleclicked with 1P running, not running, preferences dialog open and closed.
    Nothing.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@kent_skinner -- I'm not quite sure why that might be the case. It's possible the license you're trying to use is deactivated, or the file is corrupted, but another way to accomplish this would be to unlock 1Password for Mac and click on 1Password menu > License -- that should bring up the license window. At the bottom right, click on Find License, which should take you to a page to look up your license by email address and have them re-sent to you. Let me know if that works for you.

• kent_skinner
    kent_skinner
    Community Member
    Options

I found a page on the website that had me enter my registration email address. The email with my account info never arrived.

I have an original email from AgileBits, with details of purchasing the software. That's the same email address I used to in th eabve mentioned web page. It's my standard address.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@kent_skinner -- ah, OK - I've looked up your license information in our back office database, and it appears you requested a refund from us in late 2014 so you could use iCloud sync during the period of time when Apple was not allowing apps which weren't purchased at the Mac App Store to use CloudKit (which is what's required for 1Password's iCloud sync).

In other words, unless you've registered licenses under different email addresses, you don't appear to have one. What you'll need to do is visit the Mac App Store, making sure you're signed in using the same Apple ID you used to purchase 1Password after receiving the refund from us, and re-download 1Password from Apple. From there, you should be set to go, but let me know if you have any questions or further difficulties. Cheers!

• kent_skinner
    kent_skinner
    Community Member
    Options

Ahhh, right. I just dug through old email and figured it out.

1) I never asked for a refund; I asked how I could use the software with iCloud syncing.
    2) I was refunded $35 on software I paid $50 for.
    3) The price to purchase the software is now $65.

Thanks for the help. I have no idea why the customer service rep refunded me part of my purchase price when I asked was how to sync with a different service. I was pissed because my request for help had gone for 2 weeks without a reply. I never bothered to re-purchase the software.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@kent_skinner -- So, in 1Password 4 for Mac, 1Password from our own AgileBits store supported iCloud sync, as well as the Mac App Store version. Then, with the release of OS X 10.10 ("Yosemite") concurrently with iOS 8, Apple completely re-designed iCloud. They went from the older Documents and Data format to the new iCloud Drive format, remember? We were also introducing new versions at the same time, partly to stay abreast of the changes Apple was making. 1Password 5 for Mac was released at the same time.

What with all the changes, we were deluged with support requests during that time period -- mostly due to iCloud sync no longer working for non- Mac App Store versions of 1Password for Mac. We're sorry it took two weeks to reply to your email message, but that's the reason, both for why it took so long, and for why whomever helped you (I can't see that) refunded you -- because that's what everyone who was writing in at that time with the iCloud sync issue was asking for: a refund. Apologies if, in our haste, we got that wrong as well.

I guess that leaves us, years later in the present, at the "where do we go now" stage of things. If you'd like to continue using 1Password, we'd love to have you. A lot has changed since those days, and given the confusion and delays back during that time, we'd like to make it right with you. If you're interested in pursuing either an updated license for 1Password for Mac or one of our new 1Password memberships, write to us at support+forum@agilebits.com and make sure to include:

• A link to this thread: https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/83036/installed-1p-on-new-mac-need-to-transfer-license-old-style-not-subscription
    • Your forum username: kent_skinner

That way we can "connect the dots" when we see your email in our inbox.

You should also receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number in the subject line.  Please post that number here so we can track down the diagnostics and ensure that this issue is dealt with quickly. :)

Thanks very much!

• kent_skinner
    kent_skinner
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks you Lars,

JIX-81119-378

I've started a discussion with a customer support rep, and we'll see where things go. I think 1Password is pretty awesome software; my hope is to continue to use it.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@kent_skinner - I've actually replied to you in that email thread, so let's keep the conversation going over there, as it will contain personally-identifying information that should not be published in this public forum. Thanks!

This discussion has been closed.