So, about forcefully pushing the clients towards the subscription model...

Options
danielciulinaru
danielciulinaru
Community Member
edited October 2017 in Mac

This question is for the Agilebits team: when are going to come back to your senses and stop pushing down your clients' throat the subscription model?
I personally hate it and I refuse to use it. It makes no sense to store the passwords "in the cloud", with no control over what happens to them.

Plus I refuse to pay monthly endless fees for even more uncertainty, I already have way too many other "fees" to let one more to claw into my wallet.

At the moment I'm still using the 1password with a local vault but it's hold marginal personal data. The rest of the passwords have been migrated over to Enpass.

1Password Version: 6.8.3
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OS X 10.13
Sync Type: iCloud

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    edited October 2017
    Options

Hi, @danielciulinaru - thanks for the question. Unfortunately, in order to address the issues you raise, I may have to take issue with some of your premise. Specifically, I'm not quite sure what you mean when you say:

...pushing down your clients' throats the subscription model

...but in both of the two potential meanings of that phrase I can envision, I don't think it's accurate.

If what you mean when you use that phrase is that we force users to purchase a subscription if they want to use 1Password, that's simply not correct: we don't. Right now, anyone with a browser and an internet connection can visit the AgileBits license store, purchase a standalone license for 1Password, and begin creating local vaults right away.

If what you meant instead was that we believe 1Password memberships (subscriptions) are by far the better choice for 99% of our users, then I guess I have to agree with you, and I make no apologies for urging new customers who have questions or people who are using legacy versions of 1Password to switch to a 1Password membership instead of trying to upgrade their license(s). I just don't think that qualifies as "pushing it down their throats," since they have the option to purchase standalone licenses if they wish.

It makes no sense to store the passwords "in the cloud", with no control over what happens to them.

We agree, which is why we don't do any such thing. We appreciate and share your passion for security, which is why what gets stored on 1Password's servers is unreadable ciphertext, encrypted by the combination of AES-256 strengthened by PBKDF2, and your Secret Key and (hopefully) long and strong Master Password. Your actual data never resides on or even crosses our servers in anything but encrypted form. Only YOU have the means to decrypt that data; not us (AgileBits), not AWS (where "our" servers actually physically reside) and not anyone else.

I personally hate it and I refuse to use it.

We're quite aware there are many choices out there for password management, each with a slightly different approach -- enough of them that it's likely there's a good fit for almost anyone's particular requirements or desires. We believe our approach is both the most secure and the easiest to use/understand for the vast majority of people, but we've never imagined that our approach would be right for everyone, everywhere. We absolutely understand and believe that. What I confess I don't understand is this:

The rest of the passwords have been migrated over to Enpass.

As long as you continue using some form of secure password management, we'll be happy. If you've found a solution you prefer, why come here just to tell us this? Perhaps I'm missing something, so forgive me if that's the case, but if you've already moved on to another solution, what are you hoping to achieve with this post?

I refuse to pay monthly endless fees for even more uncertainty, I already have way too many other "fees" to let one more to claw into my wallet.

Ah, now that's a separate issue. I'm always curious when people object to the subscription model, whether it's because they feel as if they've "paid once," and therefore should never have to pay anything in the future, or if they just aren't fans of a monthly subscription fee? If it's the latter, there is the option of paying annually for 1Password memberships, and in fact, users actually get a break for paying annually instead of monthly.

Anyway, I'm not quite sure what else to say to you, since 1Password memberships are definitely the best way to use 1Password for most people, and I can't see us being convinced otherwise, at least not anytime soon. If you just came by to tell us you've switched to a competitor, OK -- I hope it works out well for you! Have a great weekend. :)

This discussion has been closed.