To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

I have multiple logins for the same addresses. Can I safely delete the old ones?

Options
jbhiggins
jbhiggins
Community Member

My Logins category contains many logins for the same address. I can see that some are old login passwords that I have changed. Is there any reason not to delete them? ( I have 1Password 6.8.3, Extension 4.6.11.91 for Chrome, and use Mac OS 10.13.)

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:why do I have multiple logins for the same address? can I safely delete the old ones?

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Welcome to the forum, @jbhiggins! Thanks for the question. The answer is really up to you. I'm not trying to evade, but I can't see your data and wouldn't know what's important to you even if I could. I can try to offer some general advice, perhaps. First of all, if you've got multiple logins that are for the same account, saved in 1Password, it sounds as if you may not be going about the saving logins process correctly. You may want to read through this page on saving logins just to be sure it matches what you're doing.

If you've just acquired duplicates over time for various reasons, then yes -- as long as you're sure none of the information in the records you're planning to delete either is NOT already in the record you're keeping OR has no data you need any longer, then it's fine to delete records, yes. Another idea might be to create a new vault (File > New Vault) and call it something like Archives, then move over any unneeded items into this vault. That way, you'll have them if you discover you really DID need one or more of them. It's really up to you. Let us know if you have any further questions!

• jbhiggins
    jbhiggins
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you! I probably haven't been saving logins correctly. I'll check that out. I'm pretty sure that many of the duplicates are of no use how. thanks again.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@jbhiggins -- no worries -- and you're quite welcome. Feel free to drop by anytime if you have questions or run into difficulties. Though if you're the kind of DIY person who enjoys figuring out the answers and learning about things on your own, I'd also suggest https://support.1password.com -- it's our support site, and is chock-full of helpful tips, how-tos, and troublshooting, plus illustrated (and often video-accompanied) guides for how to accomplish various tasks in 1Password. Check it out! :)

This discussion has been closed.