To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

What if my vault got compromised?

Options
andkan7917
andkan7917
Community Member

Hello
I have moved from 1password standalone to a family account. As I understand my account gets automaticliy synced and backuped. But what if my wault was to get infected with some kind of ransomware that locked me out of it. Would not this allsow get synced to my other devices? In the standalone version I was able to sync with dropbox and make local of line backups. If I was goning to be infected with some kind of malware/ransomware that locked my out I simply colud wipe my computer/dropbox and install it again. What do I do in such a case now? Is it possible for me to somehow make local backups? Or still sync my data to dropbox with the subscription version/family version of dropbox so that I could make some kind of local backups? Do 1password have any ways to protect me in this case?

What would be my best solution in this case?

Sorry for the bad English.......

Andreas

1Password Version: 6.7.457
Extension Version: 4.6.11.91
OS Version: windows 10 pro 64bit
Sync Type: ipassword account

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

I have moved from 1password standalone to a family account. As I understand my account gets automaticliy synced and backuped. But what if my wault was to get infected with some kind of ransomware that locked me out of it.

@andkan7917: That isn't possible because your vault doesn't store or run executable code; it's just a database.

Would not this allsow get synced to my other devices?

The server also validates data sent to it, so trying to add invalid data will result in rejection, and an error.

In the standalone version I was able to sync with dropbox and make local of line backups. If I was goning to be infected with some kind of malware/ransomware that locked my out I simply colud wipe my computer/dropbox and install it again. What do I do in such a case now?

You can delete everything on your computer, lose it, have it stolen, or destroy it with fire, and all you need to do to access your data is sign into your 1Password.com account in your web browser, or in the app.

Is it possible for me to somehow make local backups? Or still sync my data to dropbox with the subscription version/family version of dropbox so that I could make some kind of local backups?

1Password.com does not work with Dropbox. Data is cached locally on your devices so it's available offline...but, unlike you 1Password.com account online, your computer could be infected by malware. So...

Do 1password have any ways to protect me in this case?

The automatic offsite backup and item history of 1Password.com means that you can get your data back even if you make a mistake and delete or change something you didn't want to.

What would be my best solution in this case? Sorry for the bad English.......

See above. This time of day, your English is better than mine, so thanks for bearing with me too! :lol:

• andkan7917
    andkan7917
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for the response 8-)

Andreas

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

You're very welcome! Be sure to reach out if you have any other questions. We're here for you. :chuffed:

This discussion has been closed.