To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

what is the 1password menu. I need to find delete vault; can't find anywhere.

jperwin
jperwin
Community Member

I'm trying to be able to login on my home macbook, ipad with my Master Password. Instead it's using the old Primary Vault password which Kevin told me I have to delete. He said to go to the 1password menu, log in with master password, and find delete default. I’m not sure what exactly is the 1password menu, but there’s no Delate Vault anywhere that I can find (there’s Add Vault under File and Account, and Switch to Vault — I made Family Vault the preference — but no Delete Vault). There’s nothing on the left side column, and there’s nothing under Preferences, and there’s nothing under any of the top headings (File, Edit, View, etc.). So, can you tell me how to find Delete V
ault, and where exactly is the 1password menu? Until I do that, I still need the old password to get in from the MacBook Pro.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:what is the 1password menu. I need to find delete vault; can't find anywhere.

Comments

• jperwin
    jperwin
    Community Member

On line 3, I mean delete vault, not delete default. Sorry.

• mathieu_g
    mathieu_g
    1Password Alumni

@jperwin To delete a vault you need to enter your 1Password account. What you can do is go to this url and sign in: https://1password.com/extlink/signin/. Then, click on "manage" under the name of the vault you wish to delete, and finally click on "edit". You should now have the possibility to delete the vault.

Hope that helps!

• jperwin
    jperwin
    Community Member

Thanks. I'll try it.

• jperwin
    jperwin
    Community Member

It says that this vault isn't programmed for modifications.

• jperwin
    jperwin
    Community Member

Specifically, it says it doesn't have permission to edit.

• Corey_C
    Corey_C
    Community Member

Hi there @jperwin :)
    It's your old standalone vault that you want to delete, correct? You have to switch to that vault first before you delete it. What you need to do is go to 1Password menu > Switch to Vault > Primary. Then choose 1Password menu > Delete Vault. Be sure all your data has been moved over to your new family account before deleting your old Primary vault.

Hope that helps. :)

• jperwin
    jperwin
    Community Member

Yup. That’s exactly what I did. But when I pushed delete vault, it said it wasn’t permitted to edit that vault. I’ll try it again. PS, all the data has been moved.

• Corey_C
    Corey_C
    Community Member

@jperwin This is in the main 1Password app on your computer, not the web interface on your browser, right? Also, your "Personal" and "Primary" are two separate things. You are trying to delete "Primary", not "Personal".

• jperwin
    jperwin
    Community Member

Yup, on the computer (I think)(I don’t know what the web interface is). It’s the same site on which I got into this conversation with you. I logged in on line, entered my password, and followed the steps you outlined. I’m trying to delete the primary, because I now have a family account with a different main login, but I still have to use the old log to get into 1Password on my MacBook and iPad at home, and my iPhone, until I can delete the primary. Does that make sense? (And by the way, thank you for helping).

• jperwin
    jperwin
    Community Member

Corey, I figured out what you meant, and I was able to follow your directions on both my iPad and my iPhone, but for some reason on my MacBook Pro I don’t have the same options.

• Corey_C
    Corey_C
    Community Member
    edited October 2017

Huh. I honestly don't really know why it would tell you that you don't have the permissions to delete the Primary vault. There is no reason for that, the Primary vault doesn't have permissions. I'm sorry, I must be missing something. Maybe someone else can help better. Sorry. :(

• jperwin
    jperwin
    Community Member

Ok. Thanks.

• Corey_C
    Corey_C
    Community Member

Sorry @jperwin, I'm sure an AgileBits team member will be by with more knowledge to help you. Until then, enjoy the rest of your weekend. :)

• jperwin
    jperwin
    Community Member

Thanks, you too.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@jperwin: I'm sorry if I'm missing something, as I'm a bit late to this discussion. But it sounds like you just want to remove the Primary vault from each device. Is that correct?

If so, make sure you have everything in your 1Password.com account by signing in in your web browser first. Then do the following:

In 1Password for Mac, go to Preferences > Advanced and disable the local vaults option.

In 1Password for iOS, go to Settings > Vaults > Primary and tap Delete vault

Just keep in mind that this is only possible if you do NOT have any additional local vaults in the app (those will have to be removed first), and 1Password will also not let you remove the Primary vault if it is the only vault — so make sure you sign into your 1Password.com account in the app first.

I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

• jperwin
    jperwin
    Community Member

Thanks Brenty. I signed into my web browser. I have everything in my family account after copying the contacts of my primary vault into the shared vault of the the family account, and I have removed the old primary local vault there. I do not have any additional local vaults in the app.

I had no trouble doing what you said in the iPad and iPhone. But when I open 1password on my MacBook Pro, and go to preferences/advanced, I have the following options: copy UUID, copy JSON, enabled 3rd part app integrations, show numbers and symbols first, and allow creation of vaults outside of 1password, which is the only box checked off. There’s no disable local vaults option. Nor do I find any other option to do that anyway else. That’s the problem.

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni

Thanks for the additional information, @jperwin.

There’s no disable local vaults option. Nor do I find any other option to do that anyway else. That’s the problem.

And that's an unusual problem if you're not seeing it in version 6 of 1Password for Mac. Please let us know which exact version you're running and we can go on from there. Thanks again!

• jperwin
    jperwin
    Community Member

I'm at the office on my windows. It says 6.7.457

• jperwin
    jperwin
    Community Member

AgileBits Support says to go to preferenced/advanced and unclick "Allow Creation of Vaults outside 1Password." I'll try it when I get home and will let you know.

• Ah... sorry, the instructions we gave you are for 1Password for Mac. Version 6.7.457 is a 1Password for Windows. 1Password for Windows doesn't have a Primary vault. So I'm a little lost here. Is this 1Password for Mac, or Windows?

Rick

• jperwin
    jperwin
    Community Member

To Rick, it's on Windows at work, and also my MacBook, my ipad and my iphone. They're all synced. Don't ask me how that was done, but it works. It's the MacBook at home in which I haven't been able to delete the local volt. To Brenty, yes, that's exactly what the AgileBits guy told me today, which I'll try when I get home. I'll let you know.

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni

Keep us posted. :+1:

• jperwin
    jperwin
    Community Member

I tried it. Worked. Thank you to everyone for your help.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Awesome! And, likewise, thanks for the update. It sounds like you should be good to go, but we're here if you need us. :chuffed:

This discussion has been closed.