Vaults in Family Plan

dog_man
dog_man
Community Member
edited October 2017 in Families

We're going to get a family subscription. Two members will share the same secured vault, but not with the other 3 members. The other 3 members will have separate secure vaults each. Is this possible under the Family Plan?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows 10 / iOS / MAC OS
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@dog_man: Yep! There are a few considerations I'll go over:

First, everyone in the family will have full access to the Shared vault, so treat it accordingly.

Second, as the Organizer, you can create additional vaults and give access to one, all, some, or no family members — for example if you wanted a vault to share just between you and your spouse.

Third, keep in mind that anyone you grant Organizer status can not only recover accounts for other family members, but also manage vault access.

I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

• rhollander
    rhollander
    Community Member

I also have a question about family vaults. In terms of managing family vault accounts, i think i have too many overall and am trying to simplify. I want to manage between myself as primary, my wife, and my 2 daughters.

1. In the current configuration, I seem to have 6 vaults set up. The top is called "Primary." Then there are vaults under my family name, which are "Personal (has my thumbnail photo)," "Wife's name," "Oldest daughter's name," "Youngest daughter's name," and then "Shared."
    2. I thought that "Primary" would be the default, all-inclusive vault that i would manage but when i try to add an entry, it seems to default to the Family Name "Personal" account.
    3. Is the "Personal" vault supposed to replace the "Primary"? Should I get rid of one?
    4. If I am designating specific vaults for each family member, then do i need the one called "Shared"?
    5. Is there any way to create a default view of just the Master vault (either Primary or Personal) so i don't have to scroll through duplicate entries (or is the only way to click the settings button and select the vault?)

Thank you.
    Rob

• Corey_C
    Corey_C
    Community Member
    edited October 2017

Hi @rhollander :)
    To start, let's go over the default configuration of a Families Account. By default, each member of the family is given two things: 1. Their own "Personal" vault. 2. Access to the "Shared" vault.

The "Personal" vault is where each member of the family puts things that they want to keep private to themselves like personal logins and such. Nobody other than the specific family member can access each family member's "Personal" vault. This vault is the default vault 1Password uses for saving things unless you specify otherwise or pick a different default in Preferences>All Vaults>Vault for Saving.

The "Shared" vault is where you put things that you want the entire family to have access to like, say, wifi passwords, the family Netflix account and any important documents everyone would need access to. Everyone in the family has access to the "Shared" vault.

In addition to these vaults, anyone with "family organizer" status can make additional vaults and give access to them to whoever they choose. For example, you could create a vault that only you and your wife can access or a vault that only your wife and oldest daughter can access or any permutation you please. These can be used for things that you want to share, but not with everyone. For example, sharing a joint bank account login information between you and your wife.

Okay, with that out of the way, let's get to your questions:

I thought that "Primary" would be the default, all-inclusive vault that i would manage but when i try to add an entry, it seems to default to the Family Name "Personal" account.

Yes, by default, 1Password will save any new entries into the "Personal" vault. As I said earlier you can change that default by picking a different default vault in Preferences>All Vaults>Vault for Saving.

Is the "Personal" vault supposed to replace the "Primary"? Should I get rid of one?

Did you use 1Password for a while before getting the subscription account? If you did, the "Primary" vault was the one you used before and has nothing to do with your subscription account, does not sync with your subscription account and should, indeed be deleted, assuming everything in it has been properly moved to your Account vaults. If you did not use 1Password prior to this and simply made the "Primary" vault yourself after starting the Families subscription, then it is simply another vault and you can delete it if you think it unnecessary or not if it is useful to you.

If I am designating specific vaults for each family member, then do i need the one called "Shared"?

As I mentioned above, the "Shared" vault is one of those default vaults that you get and is accessible by everyone in the family and is meant for sharing with everyone in the family. If you have something that you want to share with the whole family, there is no need to put copies of it in vaults shared with each individual family member. Just put it in the "Shared" vault.

Is there any way to create a default view of just the Master vault (either Primary or Personal) so i don't have to scroll through duplicate entries (or is the only way to click the settings button and select the vault?)

Yep! In Preferences>All Vaults you can choose which vaults are included in the default "All Vaults" view by checking and unchecking the boxes next to the various various vaults in the "Vaults included" box.

I hope that helps clear some things up. Let me know if I you have any other questions. :)

• rhollander
    rhollander
    Community Member

Thanks Corey. Yes I used 1password for quite awhile before creating the family subscription. Last questions: If my wife and daughters all get Personal accounts as part of their 'accounts,' then I'm assuming that when they create an entry, it will default to their Personal account. But let's say my daughter, Julia, edits an entry that i had shared with her to the "Julia Vault," will that update in that "Julia Vault" that I shared with her? Thank you.

• Corey_C
    Corey_C
    Community Member
    edited October 2017

@rhollander Cool, then you should, indeed, delete that Primary vault, assuming you have migrated all of the data in it over to the new Family account, as the the new Personal vault replaces it.

If my wife and daughters all get Personal accounts as part of their 'accounts,' then I'm assuming that when they create an entry, it will default to their Personal account.

Yep, any new things they save will default to their personal vaults just like yours do.

But let's say my daughter, Julia, edits an entry that i had shared with her to the "Julia Vault," will that update in that "Julia Vault" that I shared with her?

Yes, if you have an item in the "Julia" vault that you share with your daughter and she edits it, it will just update and stay in the "Julia" vault unless one of you specifically moves it to another vault.

And as a quick suggestion, from one 1Password user to another, I would suggest you promote your wife to Family Organizer status as well. Family Organizers have access to recovery tools in case any family members happen to lose access to their account for whatever reason and it is useful to have more than one person with that capability.

Cheers! :)

• rhollander
    rhollander
    Community Member

Will do. Thanks for the advice Corey. Very helpful.

• Corey_C
    Corey_C
    Community Member

Glad I could help @rhollander. Have a great rest of your day. :)

• Thanks for the assist @Corey_C! :)

Ben

This discussion has been closed.