After updating to version 6.8.3 today on Mac High Sierra 1Password is in Read-Only mode.

Options
2»

Comments

• hillerypowers
    hillerypowers
    Community Member
    Options

I've read through this thread, but am still not able to solve the same issue on my Macbook (works fine on iPhone). I've deleted the app, emptied trash, and reinstalled from App Store, but it's still in read-only mode. Any advice, since this has been an issue for many people?

• @hillerypowers,

Did you purchase the application previously for the Mac or did you get the free download from the Store? the Mac version is a separate purchase from the iOS version and remains in a read-only mode unless you either subscribe to a 1Password.com account or purchase the standalone in app purchase.

Rudy

• hillerypowers
    hillerypowers
    Community Member
    edited November 2017
    Options

The app was purchased in April 2015, and I have been using with no issues on both devices. The app store receipt describes it as "Mac App" and says "1Password - Password Manager and Secure Wallet, v5.3". It only turned to read-only mode after updating to High Sierra, so it doesn't make sense to me that I'd need to re-purchase only because of a software update. I see that other people were able to delete the app and re-download. Do you have any advice on why this may not be working for me?

• drewpowers
    drewpowers
    Community Member
    edited November 2017
    Options

I’ve tried uninstalling & reinstalling twice for my wife on her machine (deleting the app & all preference files & restarting), but to no effect. Purchased via Mac App Store in 2015, and your team has enabled Family Sharing. When she tried to pay for it, she couldn’t, as per your design decisions. We sync passwords via Dropbox.

She was able to use it for over a year just fine, but suddenly now the update has left her in read-only mode, and she can no longer use it. Again, 2 attempts to completely uninstall and re-install the application didn’t fix the problem (still only using the Mac App Store version).

I’m not sure how the permissions work, but I would suggest either your team removing Family Sharing from the App Store, or letting family accounts access it, either one.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @drewpowers - we're not able to remove Family Sharing from showing up in the 1Password page on the Mac App Store; Apple requires all apps sold in the Mac App Store to participate in Family Sharing. However, in-app purchases are not a part of Family Sharing.

Having said that, if you purchased 1Password prior to when we switched to payment via in-app purchase, @hillerypowers should be able to install 1Password and use it to create or sync to existing local data without having to pay again. But there are a few restrictions to that. First, she'll need to be signed into the Mac App Store with the same Apple ID that is listed as part the Family Sharing. In other words, the Apple ID for her that you invited to join the family. @hillerypowers, if you have only one Apple ID, then that's fine; don't worry about this. But if you have two or three you've used over the years, make sure you're signed into the Mac App Store using the one that's actually listed as part of the Family Sharing plan, @hillerypowers.

Second and equally important, you can't just go to the main 1Password page and click "get" -- because this will give you the version with IAPs, that's NOT tied to the purchase @drewpowers made. If that's what you did, @hillerypowers, you'll need to delete 1Password by clicking on the Launchpad icon in your Dock (looks like a rocket ship), locating 1Password in Launchpad and deleting it by click-and-holding it until it "wiggles," then clicking the X inside the black circle at the top-left of the wiggling icon.

Once you've done that, and you're sure you're signed in using the proper Apple ID, click the Purchased tab in top menubar of the Store window, then choose Drew's purchases from the drop-down menu at the top of the list. Locate 1Password, and download it using the button to the right of the 1Password item. This should give you the properly-unlocked version of 1Password that you can use based on your Family Sharing agreement at the time you purchased. Let us know how that works for the two of you.

• frank_westphal
    frank_westphal
    Community Member
    Options

After deleting 1Password and reinstalling the program to fix the read only issue, 1Password worked fine for over one month then reverted to read only mode again. I deleted 1Password and reinstalled again to fix the read only mode.

The fix is easy but I should not have to do this to keep all the program features. 1Password forgets that I have purchased the program from the MAC APP Store. There needs to be a fix to this bug as I am not the only customer that has reported this problem. Just telling the customer to reinstall is NOT a fix.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@frank_westphal - how have you been downloading/re-installing 1Password from the Mac App Store? If you previously purchased 1Password outright from Apple, you shouldn't need to go through any such elaborate machinations. All you need to do is be logged in using the same Apple ID you used initially to purchase 1Password, then go to the Purchased tab, locate 1Password and choose Install. Your data should be visible, and all restrictions like Read Only mode should be disabled.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited December 2017
    Options

@frank_westphal: I agree. You shouldn't have to do that. But it isn't that 1Password "forgets" anything; all of this is handled by the App Store. We don't have any control over that, but as I mentioned earlier, we'll be happy to generate an AgileBits Store license for you instead if you'll send us your Mac App Store receipt:

https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/comment/396813/#Comment_396813

• frank_westphal
    frank_westphal
    Community Member
    Options

What I have been doing to fix the read only problem is to delete 1Pasword from my IMAC, then go to the MAC APP Store and reinstall. Yes all my data is still there. I just don't get why I have to do any of this. The MAC APP store does not forget that I have purchased the program, 1Password forgets that I have purchased the program through the MAC APP Store. If I had not purchased the program then reloading would not fix the issue. The program will work for weeks at a time then all of a sudden go into read only mode. WHY? I have provided a screenshot of the MAC APP Store showing that the program has been purchased. I don't know how to generate a MAC APP Store receipt, but if you can instruct me I would be happy to comply.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    edited December 2017
    Options

@frank_westphal - would you be willing to send in an updated diagnostics report? Feel free to just respond to the existing email conversation we had going a while back. If you no longer have that, then just add the previous Support ID to the Subject line of your diagnostics email: CRQ-53281-255.

Here's my question, however -- is it possible you used a different Apple ID to purchase 1Password originally? If that's the case, then there's the answer right there - it wouldn't have anything to do with the updating of 1Password, it would be if 1Password was re-downloaded using a different Apple ID than the one originally used to purchase. Is that a possibility?

ref: CRQ-53281-255

• frank_westphal
    frank_westphal
    Community Member
    Options

I am using the Apple ID used to purchase 1Password for the downloads. The MAC APP Store confirms 1Password was purchased on Jan 02, 2015 with this Apple ID. I only download the program when it fails. Once the program is reinstalled it works for weeks. I had no issues for the first two years. I am not having this issue with any other program purchased through the MAC APP Store. I do not download the program and reinstall until after it is in read only mode. Since you say an update can not be the cause and I am not downloading the program what does that leave as a possible cause?

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@frank_westphal The problem here isn't that I don't believe you, it's that the last time any of us had a chance to look at a diagnostics report from your device, it was 18 October, more than two months ago. You ask what the possible causes are, and as it stands, I have to reply that I don't know...because without a diagnostics report, I simply can't see the overall picture of what might be going on. To be clear, having one doesn't always provide an instant and conclusive answer...but without one, some problems or issues go from frustrating and difficult to pin down, to outright impossible. If you're able to send along an updated diagnostics report as a reply to the older email conversation we were having, we'd be more than happy to take a look and continue working with you to get to the root of this issue and offer a solution. If you can't find that old email conversation or you've already deleted it, send your diagnostics report in a new email, and just make sure to include the original ticket ID CRQ-53281-255 in the Subject line of your email. That will link it to the discussion in our email database. Thanks in advance!

• frank_westphal
    frank_westphal
    Community Member
    Options

I have sent the report as a new email.

• @frank_westphal,

We took a look at the report, @lars will be replying with some ideas as to what's going on with your specific setup.

Rudy

• suzwalk
    suzwalk
    Community Member
    Options

I am having this same problem. I have read thru this thread but don't know what I should do...we have a 1Password 6 license for Mac and PC, not sure where we got it (app store or not). I am not very computer savvy so I hesitate to delete and reinstall (even if I understood how) so I need help for dummies. I do love 1Password but, have never really understood it (took me forever to get it working) and have always felt I have been operating it on a wing and a prayer...help.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@suzwalk: Thanks for reaching out! It sounds like it should be pretty straightforward if you purchased 1Password from the AgileBits Store (which is the only way you'd be seeing "read only" using the Mac App Store version):

1. Drag the 1Password app from your Applications folder to the Trash — DO NOT use a "cleaner" app
    2. Restart your Mac
    3. Install a fresh copy of 1Password from our website: https://1password.com/downloads/
    4. Follow the instructions in your license email to register the app (I've sent this separately)

If you're still having trouble, the best thing to do will be to generate a diagnostic report so we can look at the logs to determine exactly what is happening:

https://support.1password.com/diagnostics/

Please send it to support@agilebits.com and add the following Support ID (including the square brackets) to the subject of your diagnostics email before sending:

[#VNB-11982-348]

If you’re reading this and you are not suzwalk, this Support ID is for suzwalk only. Please ask us for your own if you also need help.

This will link your diagnostics to our current discussion. Let me know once you've sent it. Once we see it we should be able to better assist you. Thanks in advance!

ref: VNB-11982-348

This discussion has been closed.