How to import license to 1 Password 6

Options
yhkung
yhkung
Community Member

Hi,
I have a Mac license for 1 password standalone version, but I have some trouble with the newly installed 1Password6.
Yesterday I just downloaded the 1Password from App Store, I realised that my 1password always showing "Read Only", thus, I tried to add my license file but I cannot find the options or where to import.
It would be grateful that someone can tell me how to solve my problem.

1Password Version: 6.8.3
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.12.6
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@yhkung: Unfortunately 1Password has no way of knowing whether or not you've purchased it unless you register the app with your license information.

But the good news is that all you need to do is follow the instructions in the license email you received from your purchase and click the link to automatically install the license in 1Password to register the app and remove the trial restrictions. In that spirit, I've also resent your license information via email.

Just keep in mind that if you're seeing "Read Only", you're using the Mac App Store version. This does not use a license, as the purchase is tied to your Apple ID. Apple will not validate your purchase unless it was through them. So you'll need to install the correct version from the license email.

I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

• yhkung
    yhkung
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Brenty,

I solved my problem after re-install 1Password via email link and successfully applied the license for it.

Thanks for your help. :chuffed:

• beyer
    beyer
    1Password Alumni
    Options

On behalf of @brenty, you've very welcome.

If we can be of further assistance, please let us know. We are always here to help!

--
    Andrew Beyer (Ann Arbor, MI)
    Lifeline @ AgileBits

• hiroshiwilliams
    hiroshiwilliams
    Community Member
    Options

I have 1Password v.3.8.22 running on MacOS high sierra 10.13.6 With the latest Safari update I was forced to upgrade to 1password 6 which is great but I can't get my original one user license registered with the new version. Can I?

• danco
    danco
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

The upgrade from 1PW3 to 1PW4 was a paid upgrade, but the upgrades from 1PW4 to 1PW5 and 1PW5 to 1PW6 were free. So you would need to pay in order to use 1PW6, but I am not sure what the payment model is now that 1PW7 is out.

And 1PW7 also requires a new payment.

Since you are running OS 10.13.6 you can go to 1PW7, which I recommend. You can go with a one-time licence or a subscription. I would suggest a subscription, but it is your choice. You should certainly look at the sub, see for instance https://support.1password.com/why-account/

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Welcome to the forum, @hiroshiwilliams! If your last purchase of 1Password for Mac was version 3, then @danco is quite right; version 4 was a paid upgrade, and version 7 is another paid upgrade. Fortunately for you, since you never had versions 4, 5 or 6, you can go directly to version 7 and only pay for that upgrade. :)

However, as @danco also recommended, I'd be remiss if I didn't mention the 1password.com membership option to you. Either way, you can visit our downloads page, grab a copy of 1Password 7 for Mac and install it, and make your choice during the first run of the app. Let us know if you have any questions.

• SadMojave
    SadMojave
    Community Member
    Options

I run a licensed version of 1PW6 on one partition of my 2017 iMac. I installed Mojave onto the other partition and dragged and dropped the important applications from the Sierra Applications folder to the one on Mojave. I also copied the Application support files for these applications to the User/Library folders. The only application that does not work is 1PW6 on Mojave. It won's sync over Dropbox with with either the Sierra version or with the IoS 12 version. The problems are - when I put my Master Password into the copied over version it does not accept it. When I try to sync using Dropbox the copied version "sees" the Sierra file to sync with but won't sync until I put in my Master Password!!. Then everytime I try to access preferences in the copied version I get an invitation to apply my license file!! When I say yes it tries to download it from the AgileBits server but fails. I have made a folder o the Sierra desktop to which I synced the Sierra version of 1PW6. I thought if I copied that to the Mojave desktop I could sync the Mojave copy to that. But no. I rejects my Master Password so I cannot open 1PW not on the original HD. It may seem reading this that the problems are in the wrong order but each time I try to open and run !PW6 on Mojave the issues arrive in different ways

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@SadMojave - can I ask how you're syncing your data, on the licensed, existing partition, not the Mojave partition you tried to set up?

• SadMojave
    SadMojave
    Community Member
    Options

I ended up with two vaults on the original iMac ( full HD ). One synced to my phone with Dropbox and the other with iCloud - I just cannot remember how that happened :-(. When I synced to the Sierra desktop folder tonight I cancelled both these external syncs. This syncing to the folder on the desktop merged the vaults. I've not attempted to re-sync the merged vaults with the iPhone yet. The original copy of the licensed v6 is on the Sierra partition of the iMac drive that I created last week to allow Mojave to be installed on a newly made partition. The Mojave OS is working perfectly for all other applications so far on its own partition.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@SadMojave - I can't really tell here, and I'm still not certain I know specifically what you're trying to accomplish, but if you have two vaults on the original non-Mojave partition that are each synced to Dropbox and iCloud, you should be able to use those to re-establish vaults on the Mojave partition. We've got good troubleshooting guides for both iCloud and Dropbox syncing; that's where I'd start.

This discussion has been closed.