Adding TOTP in Android [supported in version 7]

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Thank you all for the hard work on this app, I've been a 1Password user since 2015 and before I used many solutions like Lastpass, Dashlane and Keepass and the experience was never as good as 1Password.

@r1cebank: Thanks for the kind words! I'm glad to hear that you've been enjoying 1Password for years already! :)

Today you guys pushed an Android update, and I actually got excited because we rarely get any updates. But, the QR scanning for setting up OTP is not there again. I get that as a user we see features as binary and we don't consider the hard work behind this, as a software engineer I deal with this personally everyday.

Nevertheless, it sucks, and I'm sorry about that: that you're disappointed when receiving an update because it's missing something you're really looking forward to. I wish we could simultaneously develop all the features, improvements, and infrastructure we also want ourselves, but there are so many hours in a day so it's all about choices. :(

After seeing this long thread and you guys constantly insisting on not having enough time makes me wonder do you really care about your Anrdoid users, my wife's phone is iPhone and she get far more updates than I do. (Thank you for the updates, sadly I am not using iOS). I get this, its not because its harder to do, its more like your team is not prioritizing Android platform features.

It sounds like you're assuming that we're pulling people away from Android or something, and that's just not the case. They're very different platforms (Java/Kotlin versus Objective C/Swift versus .Net/C#) and so we have folks working on each at all times. As I mentioned above, macOS and iOS apps have the benefit of being able to share code. If caring about our customers magically made that code work on Android and Windows as well, 1Password for Android would already have this feature and we'd all be taking it for granted already. But that isn't the case, and, because we care about users on every platform, with something as critical as user data, we're extra careful, so custom fields — including TOTP setup — (or local vaults, which we're working on for Windows) will only ship when we're confident that it's ready.

Now the experience using 1Password has gone worse and worse

How so? I get that you have not yet received the specific additions you're looking for, but as far as I'm aware we haven't made 1Password for Android worse. If you're experiencing any issues with changes we've made though, please tell us so we can see what needs to be done to address them.

and I am reconsidering if I will renew my family subscription with you guys. I want to continue to use your software, but this is a deal breaker.

I'm sorry to hear that you're considering leaving 1Password because we haven't been able to add the new features you want yet. The only thing we can do under the circumstance though is keep working at it every day. Thanks for your honest feedback. :blush:

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Sinister: We're totally aware what features 1Password for Android does and does not have. Some (like the topic of this discussion) we are working on, and others we are not. The former will be released when they're ready; the latter are not things we have plans for currently. I feel like we're kicking a dead horse here. :(

• bacoboy
    bacoboy
    Community Member

I think you are just hearing user frustration.

I was showing somebody how to setup, and was surprised to find the OTP scanning isn't on android. This is 1P after all! The Cadillac of password managers!

Given the app is more than 2 years old (I think) and 1P's history of awesomeness, you guys shouldn't be surprised at the frustration.

"Its on our roadmap" only works for so long before people don't believe you anymore...

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@bacoboy: Fair enough. But if you look at the release notes, you'll see that we've been adding requested features all along. I think that speaks to our credibility, even if the particular feature you're after hasn't yet made it into a release. It simply isn't possible for us to do everything at once. And, more to the point in this case, adding TOTP in 1Password for Android would be impossible without us doing this first:

Actions speak louder than words. One step at a time. :)

• bacoboy
    bacoboy
    Community Member

Sorry wasn't trying to say you guys are just sitting on your hands. Still think 1P is some of the best SW out there. Just saying, you are hearing frustration that's all. At the end of the day it comes down to priorities. Users clamoring is just another factor to consider. Looks like OPA-107 is in beta which is great news. Hopefully this will be a fast follow on. Cool to see movement!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@bacoboy: Agreed 100%. Progress feels good for everybody. Looking forward to getting the rest in the beta done so we can get that out to everyone, and then keep moving right along in our todo list. Thanks for the encouragement! :chuffed:

• r1cebank
    r1cebank
    Community Member

I downloaded the android beta and I just wanna come back here and say Thank You to all the developers working on this. I can finally use the qr scanner now.

• Mongoose089
    Mongoose089
    Community Member

:) Still haven't looked back at LastPass since I came over almost a year ago and my opinion is likely not to change

• Henry
    Henry
    1Password Alumni

@r1cebank On behalf of the team, you're very welcome! I'll pass on your thanks :)

@Mongoose089 So glad you're loving 1Password!

• baikun
    baikun
    Community Member

Hi there !

Sorry to hijack the thread, but it looks like there is a question on this thread left unanswered.
    What about the automatic copy of one-time passwords to the clipboard on android ? It looks like it's the only platform that does not have this feature. It's really painful to have to open the app, search for the website, manually copy this field.

Is this simple (AFAIK) feature planned ?

• peri
    edited June 2018

Hi @baikun. We don't currently support auto-copying TOTP values to the clipboard, but I will let our team know that you'd like to see this feature on Android! ref: android-5

• Gregs
    Gregs
    Community Member

hi @peri, this is actually something I encountered today, which was very awkward... I had to enter the TOTP value after logging in using auto-fill, and I really struggled. Clipboard like in the desktop version seems good at first, but in this particular case copying TOTP value to the clipboard wouldn't work, as that particular app (Xero) wasn't using text fields anyway. A notification or a toast with the TOTP value after auto-fill completes would've worked well. So my vote (if you're counting) for TOTP is for clipboard + notification/toast lasting 5-10 seconds after auto-fill completes. On the keyboard, how about doing the same after clicking "Fill Password" button?... hmmm.?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

I'm a bit baffled as to how you'd enter it without text fields (that's a new one to me), but it's certainly something we can consider. Thanks for the suggestion! :)

• Gregs
    Gregs
    Community Member
    edited June 2018

@brenty there you go... i'm not making this up ;-)

no way to paste into these fields... the app: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.xero.touch

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Ohhhhh okay. I understand now. Thank you! That at least makes some sense, but definitely a first for me. More like a PIN entry than login. :)

• baikun
    baikun
    Community Member
    edited June 2018

Out of curiosity, is there any specific reason for not copying TOTP to clipboard after filling password on android in the first place ? That's just odd that it's the only device not having this feature, maybe it's more complicated than it looks regarding security ?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited June 2018

@baikun: Good question! The "specific reason" is that this just isn't a feature we've built on Android yet. There's simply no mechanism currently to attach that functionality to, but it's absolutely something we want as well. It's not "complicated" so much as there's always a much longer list of stuff we want to work on than we can do at once. :)

ref: android-5

• baikun
    baikun
    Community Member

Well ! Thanks for the clarification ;-) I thought there was some security concerns that I was not aware of !

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@baikun: Sure thing! The only potential security concern would be that other apps on the system could also read the clipboard. But given the ephemeral nature of one-time passwords, that's really only academic. Capturing only that would not be useful.

A larger concern would be not giving apps permission to use the system's accessibility APIs if you're not sure you can trust them, since they could read and modify anything you do in your browser or other apps. This is how 1Password can fill in many cases using the Android accessibility APIs. This is less of an issue for 1Password itself since we're already trusting it to store our important data. It's an interesting twist. :)

• baikun
    baikun
    Community Member

That's what I thought. Not big deal then ;-) I just have to be patient and hope the team finds some time to implement the feature !

• Henry
    Henry
    1Password Alumni

@baikun I really want to see the OTP codes automatically copied too, and I do hope they find time! I'll be sure to ping them about this again on your (and my) behalf tomorrow. :)

• Ralph Inselsbacher
    Ralph Inselsbacher
    Community Member

That's the number of days since you announced TOTP support for iOS.

3 years, 6 months, 19 days.

That's the time Android users are waiting that their version of 1Password is on par with its iOS cousin.

By now whatever you say, whatever you excuse bring sounds silly and dishonest.

Software development takes time; no question. Quality even longer; also no question. But 3 and a half years for an essential feature is a farce. With 1Password for Teams/Business/Family you have not even the slightest problem of selling the inferior product at the same price as the real deal. Why do Android users pay the same for less?

I'v been using 1Password since my first white plastic MacBook back in god knows what year it was. And I've been recommending your product ever since. But not any longer. I can't and I won't. And I'll start evaluating alternatives from here on. Will they be perfect? Sure, no! Will I miss features from 1Password? Sure, yes! But I won't feel fooled and ripped of.

• Ralph Inselsbacher
    Ralph Inselsbacher
    Community Member
    edited August 2018

Sorry, double post.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Ralph Inselsbacher: Yep! And we've been busy working on 1Password for every one of those days. If it was an "essential feature" for everyone, we'd have heard from a lot more than about a dozen people requesting it over time and probably would have added it sooner. But we do need to prioritize things that help the most people where we can. 1Password for Android has supported generating TOTP codes for a while now though, and we've redesigned the item detail and edit views in version 7 to accommodate this. If you'd bothered to ask before leaving rude comments you'd know that. :unamused:

• fritzophrenic
    fritzophrenic
    Community Member

Add me to the list of a dozen people requesting easy access to TOTP. ;-)

I don't really care if it's automatic copy/toast after autofill, if you add a "view entry" button to the autofill popup (and keyboard!), or what, but leaving the currently open app to launch 1Password separately isn't always even possible. My banking app reverts to the first page of the login screen if I leave the app without fully logging in. I'll need to experiment with split screen to see if I can handle it that way but now we're really getting into "hacky workaround" territory.

My guess is that the small number of complaints has more to do with the (sadly) small number of people who actually use TOTP.

I'm in the middle of migrating from KeePass/KeePass2Android, and the keyboard for KP2A has a feature to fill any of the custom fields, including generated TOTP code. I was quite surprised not to see a similar feature in 1Password. I'll try to be patient, though. :-)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@fritzophrenic: Thanks for chiming in! Honestly, I didn't expect much from split screen (multi-window?) mode myself, and didn't know my device supported it until recently. I've been pleasantly surprised — especially with regard to dragging fields from 1Password. The bummer for me is that while 1Password supports this, not all other apps do. And I feel your pain with the banking issue. I've got some accounts like this myself... Anyway, while we haven't added a TOTP feature like this yet, now that we've got a lot of important groundwork laid hopefully we'll be able to get this checked off our todo list before long. :)

ref: android-5

• Niek
    Niek
    Community Member

Here's another request to add TOTP support to Android. It's quite annoying to have to switch back and forth to copy TOTP codes. Especially now that security is becoming more and more important, it would be great to have this.

• Hi @Niek. 1Password for Android will automatically copy your TOTP to the clipboard after you've filled the Login it's associated with. Please launch 1Password and go to Settings > Filling, and make sure that Auto-copy one-time passwords is turned on.

• Niek
    Niek
    Community Member

@peri I found about that after posting - it's a good workaround until there is real TOTP support

This discussion has been closed.