Copying One Time Passwords

Hello! I scoured the "Filling One Time Passwords" discussion and didn't see this mentioned there. And, as filling is largely working for me, I thought I'd post as a separate issue:

There are a handful of OTP uses that require me to copy the password instead of filling. Connecting to a company VPN is a characteristic example: I need to enter my password and append the OTP to be granted access.

Upwards of 80% of the time I click the "Copy" button on the OTP field in the extension, the wrong 6-digit password is copied. But - this only happens the first time. If I immediately open the extension again and copy the same field, I will always get the correct 6-digit password.

I've verified this by clearing my clipboard, opening the entry and clicking copy, and then pasting it immediately afterwards, then repeating to get the right one. I almost always get a wrong OTP the first time, and I always get the correct OTP the second time.

Thanks!

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: 0.9.3
OS Version: Ubuntu 17.04/Chrome 62.0.3202.62
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• beyer
    beyer
    1Password Alumni

Hey @abscondment,

Thanks for taking the time to let us know you're having issues with the wrong OTP getting copied. I have a pretty decent guess of what might be causing this bug, but I'll need to go test a few things to double-check. I can hopefully get this quickly fixed, but if not I'll be sure to open an issue on your behalf.

Thanks again for bringing this to our attention! I'll be sure to let you know what I find out.

--
    Andrew Beyer (Ann Arbor, MI)
    Lifeline @ AgileBits

• Hello @abscondment,

I was wondering if you are still experiencing this issue. I haven't seen it happen for a while but perhaps I'm not tickling the bug just right.

Please let me know,

Thanks!

• abscondment
    abscondment
    Community Member

Hey @dteare,

Thanks for following up. I am still experiencing the issue with 0.9.7 as of this morning.

-Brendan

• beyer
    beyer
    1Password Alumni

@abscondment: Are you seeing this on multiple websites you use TOTP on or only on a specific site?

--
    Lifeline @ AgileBits

• abscondment
    abscondment
    Community Member

@beyer: That's a good question. So far, I've been able to repro it consistently with every TOTP I try. Specifically, ones from AWS, Github, even my work VPN. It's difficult to test for multiple logins, however, since the issue only happens the first time (within some undetermined time frame) you copy it.

• beyer
    beyer
    1Password Alumni

@abscondment: Thanks for getting back to me. I have an issue open, but we have yet to have any of our developers reproduce this. As a last resort, do you mind trying to remove 1Password and reinstalling it from the Chrome store? To remove 1Password, ensure you have your Secret Key, right-click the 1Password logo (in your menu bar), and then select "Remove from Chrome...".

This should help us rule out anything specific to your install or local storage. Thanks!

--
    Lifeline @ AgileBits

• abscondment
    abscondment
    Community Member

@beyer Ok; I just removed the extension and reinstalled it. Unfortunately, the value is still being copied incorrectly on the first try.

E.g.:

1Password displays correct TOTP: 823930
    Clicking the "Copy" button next to it, then pasting results in: 439865
    Clicking Copy again, then pasting results in: 823930

¯_(ツ)_/¯

Thanks for continuing to investigate!

• beyer
    beyer
    1Password Alumni

@abscondment Very interesting, thanks for the update and giving a reinstall a try. I'll see if I can repo on Ubuntu, if there's one case then it's unlikely more people won't see this as well.

Thanks for your help and have a great weekend! :)

--
    Lifeline @ AgileBits

• abscondment
    abscondment
    Community Member

Here's a video of it happening on the freshly-minted 1.0.1: https://www.dropbox.com/s/wjxwgjs6yn3asa7/Screencast 2017-11-15 10:51:35.mp4?dl=0

Congrats on the release!

• Darn it!!! I swore my last refactoring would have fixed this issue for you, @abscondment. I'm sorry it didn't :(

I'm going to have to put on my thinking cap and revisit this code. Hopefully I can find something. But first, I need to finish enjoying launch day here and then get some sleep :)

Thanks again for the perfect bug report.

This discussion has been closed.