How do I stop encryption. Create my own passwords?

jhgarvey
jhgarvey
Community Member

I want to stop encription and create my own passwords

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:Stop encryption. Create my own passwords?

Comments

• AlwaysSortaCurious
    AlwaysSortaCurious
    Community Member

@jhgarvey I'm going to go out on a limb here and ask for additional detail about what you mean?

There is a password generator, but you don't have to use it. You can create your own passwords if you want.
    Stop Encryption of what exactly?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@jhgarvey: Indeed, be sure to let us know more about what you're trying to do. The benefit of 1Password is that anything you store in your vault is encrypted, so you not only don't have to remember all of that, it's also secure so that no one else can access it. It's easy enough to save unencrypted data in a text file or something, but that just makes it easier for someone malicious or nosy to get it — and frankly 1Password is also more convenient, since it can be used to fill login credentials for you too. Cheers! :)

• jhgarvey
    jhgarvey
    Community Member

AlwaysSortaCurious: On some of my logins I am not able to create my own passwords. I am only able to have an encrypted password when I type one in
    That is what i am trying to change. To be able to create and retain the password of my choice. Thanks for your reply. Hope this helps.
    jhgarvey

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

AlwaysSortaCurious: On some of my logins I am not able to create my own passwords. I am only able to have an encrypted password when I type one in That is what i am trying to change. To be able to create and retain the password of my choice. Thanks for your reply. Hope this helps.

@jhgarvey: I think you may be under the impression that a random password created by the password generator is "encrypted". Technically it is, as with everything inside your vault, but when you're viewing the password, this is not encrypted: anything you view in 1Password is decrypted in order to display it for you, otherwise everything would be unreadable and unusable.

Not to put too fine a point on it, but "To be able to create and retain the password of my choice" is a terrible security practice, and the reason that 1Password exists is to help us never have to do that: humans are incapable of generating randomness, and passwords we create with our brains or consciously choose ourselves are easy for computers — and often friends, family, and coworkers — to guess. So the purpose of 1Password is to create truly strong, random, long, effectively unguessable passwords, which we can then set for websites and store in 1Password so that we do not need to remember them or enter them manually. Let me know if that helps! :)

This discussion has been closed.