1P on iPad does not accept my master password

Options
dober
dober
Community Member

Hello,

today I tried to open my 1P-Vault on my iPad but it did not accept my password. After several attempts (and verifications that it still works on my other machines), I deleted and reinstalled the app. But when I re-download the vault, it still does not accept my password.
Any Idea what I can do to solve this problem?

My setup is all iOS 11 and macOS 10.13.

Thank you

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: dropbox

Comments

• @dober: Are you positive that 1Password is picking up the proper vault after the reinstall? If you have more than one vault file on Dropbox, even if you never use those extras, 1Password may still be hooking up with an old one. On Mac, you can check the path of your vault by choosing 1Password menu > Preferences and looking at the path displayed below your vault in your Sync settings.

• dober
    dober
    Community Member
    Options

@bundtkate I just checked, the path is the same.

• @dober: Is it an Agile Keychain, by chance? There's a dusty memory in the back of my brain that's suggesting to me this has happened before with Agile Keychain. If you are using Agile Keychain to sync, try switching to OPVault on Mac, then set up the iPad to sync to the new vault file (along with other devices, of course). OPVault comes with the added bonus of faster syncing and less space hogging, so even if this doesn't resolve your problem.

Additionally, remember that 1Password will unlock with the Master Password for the first vault or account you add to the app. As such, if you have two vaults on Mac, for example, you will unlock with the Master Password for your Primary vault. If the vault you're trying to open on iPad is a secondary vault on Mac, it is possible it has a different Master Password from the one you use to unlock on Mac. Not saying this is definitely what's going on here, just something to be aware of.

If it seems reasonable based on your setup that multiple vaults might be at the root of your problem, hold off on switching to OPVault and let me know. Otherwise, give OPVault a try (or let us know if you're already using it) and let us know how you get on. :+1:

• dober
    dober
    Community Member
    Options

@bundtkate: It was an Agile Keychain. I changed it to the new format on all devices where it seems to work flawless. But the problem persists unchanged on the iPad. My password is not accepted for the new file the same way as for the old.

I'm only using one vault. On one desktop I found a demo vault which isn't synced but I don't think that this is the problem.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited October 2017
    Options

@dober: I'm not so sure. Just to clarify, 1Password doesn't care what your Master Password is; rather, it's using it as an input to decrypt the data: it either works or it doesn't. So it sounds like what's happening is you either don't have the correct data on the iPad, or you're not able to enter the Master Password correctly there for some reason.

Often people try to unlock with a "new" Master Password before using the "old" one to unlock and sync the changes. Another consideration is that, depending on the composition of your Master Password (don't tell us!!!) there can be differences in the keyboard/input on different devices: characters that appear the same can be encoded differently. And keep in mind that in iOS 11 "smart punctuation" is on by default.

If you're still having trouble, the best thing to do will be to restart your device, reproduce the same issue, and then generate a diagnostic report so we can look at the logs to determine exactly what is happening:

https://support.1password.com/diagnostics/

Please send it to support@agilebits.com Let me know once you've sent it. Once we see it we should be able to better assist you. Thanks in advance!

ref: WVU-32919-685

• dober
    dober
    Community Member
    Options

@brenty: Thank you, I found the problem! Now I feel quite stupid, but I got confused by the new keyboard layout. I even typed my password as plain text in an editor to copy it and I could not see the fault (comparison iPhone to iPad). But now I looked up "smart punctuation" and the changed characters and found it.

Thanks again for the great support!

• Ben
    Options

Thanks for the update @dober! Glad to hear you were able to get it working.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.